name of portable computer??

Anyone remember Compaq? They were the original "portable" PC. The name was specifically created to invoke the idea of "compact", because it was smaller than the original IBM PC, later to become a "desktop" PC.
Compaq_Portable_PC.jpg

It was the first IBM clone using DOS, and they made it portable, which at the time was what we would now refer to as "disruptive" technology. It wasn't really the first portable computer, that was the Osborne I think, but that was not a PC format that we have come to love. Compaq borrowed their portability concept and applied it to the PC clone concept and made it big. I think I am still suffering from shoulder damage from lugging that beast around, but compared to an IBM PC or even a DEC PDP11 before that, it was a dream come true!

I had to run through Chicago airport to catch a connection with one of those. My back still hurts!!!

Although my partner at a previous job always called his a portable. He was from Tennessee where perhaps syllables are not as endangered.
Nah, down in the hills of Tennessee, we only had two types out back, outhouses and portables. The portables were much newer and cleaner overall. :oops:

As a youngster, my job was to dig new holes for the outhouse, and slide it over when the old place got filled up. I doubt if there are very many fellow outhouse-hole-diggers still around. It took some careful measuring and planning. Too small and it would fill up fast, too big a hole, and you risked the sides caving in, followed by the outhouse.

Last edited:
For a few years, I used a unit like this one to program Siemens S5-PLC's.
The operating system was CPM.

PG685.jpg

realolman,

Well, that is why I used the word "alone". But if you have "Decades" of experience with this person, then you may be qualified to judge them as you have.
There is nothing wrong with having high standards. But now you are into the realms of incompetency, more so than ignorance. Although they are close cousins.

It's easier to ignore the flaws in those we care for. We are blinded.
Yet we look harder for the negatives in those we hold in low regard. We are oversightful, perhaps?

(Ok, grammar check - any semicolons? No. OK good...phew!)

G.

What I meant by the semicolon thing was how meticulous with syntax a person has to be to program computers and PLC's and what not.... and he doesn't even know what a computer is called.

Don't you americans call duct tape duck tape? (or is it just a joke)
because now it is on sale here in hardware shops as 'duck tape'
Never had to use tape on a duck - just ducting. :) :)

I had a boss call 'immersion heaters' immersion geezers - never had the courage to correct him.

But even funnier - he used to call a PME system (Protective Multiple Earthing)
a PMS system (Premenstrual syndrome)

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one to post (never thought that much of them to take a picture of one), but the old GE Workmaster and GEM80 programming boxes, both fall into the same 20# suitcase with a big handle category. We had one of each, and the boss wouldn't see his way clear to let me get a cart for them.🔨

Realoman,
I'm sure your boss is also the kind of guy that 'pacifically' says 'labtop' on purpose because he finds it 'historically' funny.

BTW, all of the above are things I've had previous bosses say to me. Notice they're all previous bosses :D

Don't you americans call duct tape duck tape? (or is it just a joke)
because now it is on sale here in hardware shops as 'duck tape'
Never had to use tape on a duck - just ducting. :) :)
It has an interesting etymology. I'm not sure anyone really knows. "Duck Tape" came into being in World War II to seal ammunition boxes. They name could have come from cotton duck fabric used to make it, it's duck-like behavior of being water repellent or possible from the amphibious truck used to carry ammo boxes called DUKW or ducks. It of course was olive drab colored.

After the war, it was used to seal ducts. It was changed to the light gray color we are now familiar with as "duct tape." The usage of "duct tape" increased while "duck tape" fell out of usage, to the point where the USPTO (in their infinite wisdom) decided that Duck Brand Duck Tape could be trademarked.

So, we have a generic term that eventually become a trademark as opposed the usual trademarked term that become generic.

"duck tape" became "duct tape" became "Duck Tape™."

mbartoli said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one to post (never thought that much of them to take a picture of one), but the old GE Workmaster and GEM80 programming boxes, both fall into the same 20# suitcase with a big handle category. We had one of each, and the boss wouldn't see his way clear to let me get a cart for them.🔨

Here you go...

GE Workmaster System
system.jpg

GEM80
200060-1.jpg

My first computer was an IBM portable, it resembled that COMPAQ one jraef put up.

I cant tell if that one in the picture has it but the IBM we had a printer in the top of ours. The printer really resembled an over sized receipt printer but come on how many computers have there own little printer inside lol

I remember the latest addition to AB's programming platform back in the 80's, the T50 with a CRT screen. It was at first called a portable unit because it had a handle to carry it with, but after many of the handles snapped while in use, it was re-designated 'transportable' o_O

Steve

Allen-bradley-1784-T50B-industrial-terminal-1784-T5OB-picture.jpg

A couple of years ago one of my co-workers, notably an instructor PC installation, ordered new desktop PCs. But he didn't want to pay too much, so he wanted clones instead of brand PCs. On the application form he mentioned clown PCs...

Here in my part of SC, it's pretty common to hear a laptop called a "labtop", especially among the older folk. They usually drag out the pronunciation of the "lab" before the "top".

"Hey yaw! Let me plug up my labbtop to it and we'll get it fixed."