Need help with RSlogix Micro Starter, Rslinx and Windows 7

Mesels

HI All,

I'm having problems communicating with my Micrologix 1000 PLC. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my computer. I have RSLinx 2.54 and RSLogix Micro Starter installed on my PC. I was told by an instructor at school that Rockwell released a fix to allow Windows 7 to work with the RSlogix Micro Starter software and that there is a newer version of RSLinx 2.57. Can some one help me here I have a final exam Monday and I need to do some labs for preperation for my test

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, what sort of "problems" ?

RSLinx Classic 2.57 is the current release. Let's troubleshoot that.

Is your serial port built-in, or a USB or other expansion device ?

The more information you give, the more help you can get.

I get registry errors . I was told by an instructor that Rockwell released a new file/patch that would deal with that because of Windows 7. RSLogix Micro starter will not work with windows 7. My PLC is a Micrologix 1000

RSLogix 500 Micro Starter is the free version that works with MicroLogix 1000 and MicroLogix 1100. The version of RSLinx Classic that comes with it is even cut down so that it includes only the drivers for those two controllers (DF1, DH485, and EtherNet/IP).

Let's go see if the AB.COM website and the RSI Webupdates site are showing different revisions.

All the computers at school are Window XP Pro and of cousre I have Windows 7 which Rockwell would not support till recently

Many users have reported success in using RSI products in the "Virtual XP Mode" included in Windows 7 Professional. It's entirely possible that the free version of RSLogix 500 just won't run on Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm having some trouble connecting to the A-B domains; a VPN problem. But you should be able to.

The AB.COM/MicroLogix redirects to a free download section that includes that RSLogix 500 Micro Lite and the version of RSLinx Classic that goes with it.

Go to support.rockwellautomation.com and to the Webupdates section, then select RSLinx Classic, and RSLinx Classic Lite. It will be a free download but it will be a lot larger download than the cut-down version that comes with RSLogix 500 Micro Lite.

Thanks I did see the sw bundles of RSLogix and RSLinx and that is for Windows XP. Like I said an instructor had a fix (was give a fix by one of his studenst that that student got when he talk to a person from Rockwell who told him where to go on there site)

Go to support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates and download and install only RSLinx Classic Lite 2.57.

That should be all you need; I don't think you'll find a newer version of RSLogix 500 Micro Lite.

RSLogix Micro is currently at version 8.1 which does not support Vista or Windows 7. The free stuff tends to lag behind the paid versions.

There is no "patch" or fix. The software needs to be offically released. I suggest you consider Ken's suggestion of using Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode to create a virtual XP machine within your Windows 7. That or borrow an XP machine.

OG

I was having trouble getting RSLogix500 and RSLinx running under Windows 7, but finally got it to work. Only the latest release of RSLinx (V2.57) is currently supported under Windows 7. RSLinx can be run as a Service or an Application. Normally, it is run in Service mode, but I found that I needed to run it in Application mode under Windows 7. Try disabling RSLinx as a Service, then launch the RSLinx Control Panel and check the "Run as an Application" box. Of course, make sure you exit and shutdown RSLinx before you start disabling and enabling modes.

It will auto load as a service when you install it.

Right click on it in the taskplane (bottom right). There should be a set of options for config and close etc. Open them and there should be an option to switch off autoloading. Do that, close it, and reopen it.

Alternatively you can go Start > Programs > Rockwell Software > RSLinx > Launch Configuration thingy

Last edited:
RSLogix Micro is currently at version 8.1 which does not support Vista or Windows 7. The free stuff tends to lag behind the paid versions.

I did have it installed on Vista and it worked fine, I have tried several times on W7 (64, 32bit, Pro, ultimate, etc) and nothing but issues, I had one customer say that had it installed but could not get RSLinx to work, I sent them the updated version link and never hear back :confused:

Works great on XP Mode :)