Need info on using PLC for Sawmill setworks

Peter is going throw up all over what I am about to present, but I have had success with this setup in the image attached.

PLC Triangle Research
www.tri-plc.com
MD Series, or F Series
10khz high speed encoder counter
PWM, PID
Ladder Logic with BASIC instructions executable on each rung.

Command Controls proportional valve.
http://www.commandcontrols.com/catalog/11/11-102.pdf
The prop valve I used was a bit bigger than the above.

Depending on how your programming works, you will have to make a decision for normally open or normally closed. My suggestion would be a normally open valve so you wouldn't need to use the PWM output on the PLC for normal full speed jogging. When the prop valve has no signal it it allows full flow. I know that a true proportional or servo valve is the best idea, but since you already have the tandem valve...

I have used the PID algorithm on the PLC and quadrature encoder as the feedback device. Depending what result of the algorithm returns you can turn on the directional valve depending on a positive or negative value returned by the algorithm and set the PWM depending on the absolute value of this same value returned by the algorithm.

I have got this to work on a sawmill where I work with a jog average speed of 6 inches/sec.
Tuning of the PID was tricky, but was satisfactory for me.

Not knowing any of the dynamics of your system, I can't say this is going to help you, but has worked for me who is on a very small budget.
The only thing I have had trouble with was the high speed counter was gaining/losing pulses which caused the display to show an inaccurate height measurement, a homing sensor would help with that. I really haven't been able to determine why its doing this. I am sure its something on my part and it doesn't happen often.

I truly don't want to aggravate Peter with my mess, but it does work. At the moment, it probably isn't worth mentioning any of my specifics as to pump size, valve size, type of gear reduction, etc. because I am probably going to get laughed out of here.

Regards

I am not aggravated, I know it can be done if.....

you don't expect much. You are moving only one axis. You don't care too much about speed, settling time or following a motion profile etc. I let this thread go a while ago once I found out that it was a portable sawmill. Our product is normally gross overkill for those applications.

The quality of the positioning system is irrelevant when the saw blade will not cut right. The reality is; if the blade is not sharpened correctly or the blade guides are not adjusted correctly, it doesn't matter if the the positioning system is accurate to 1/1,000 of inch.

IMHO, I have found its not worth trying to shoot for better than 1/64 of an inch on any sawmill application because the positioning system cannot cure poor blade maintenance.

Sawmill's are meant to mis-cut lumber. :)

IMHO, I have found its not worth trying to shoot for better than 1/64 of an inch on any sawmill application because the positioning system cannot cure poor blade maintenance.

Sawmill's are meant to mis-cut lumber. :)

The old axiom in the lumber industry: Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

Usually in sawmills we see plus and minus 50mA. We can help you get set up with a valve or valves, and MTS transducer if you would like. Please get a hold of Jim or Steve at HSD. The transducer can be mA, voltage or digital. We can put a package together for your budget. We also carry the R-Series with analog and SSI outputs.

Steve

[email protected]
208-773-4731