Need input for valve stem sensor

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer with a valve that has limit switches and what I think is a rotary potentiometer for position feedback. The analog sensor gives a a very flaky reading (4-20mA input to a Micrologix 1400 via 1762-IF4).

Both of the limit switches are froze up. This is in a vault that is covered but exposed to moisture and temperature extremes.

I was thinking about using proximity sensors for the end limits but it might make more sense to use a laser distance sensor or something similar and just do away with the limit switches. If I can get a very repeatable analog sensor I think this could work well.

I think the object on the stem is made of stainless steel so a long range inductive prox could work for limit switches. I believe the travel range of the stem is around 4 inches, but I am not certain of that. The only laser distance sensor I ever worked with was something like ten meter range and in a relatively clean climate controlled setting.

Tell me what you think:

Valve Position Sensing.jpg

Try contacting the valve operator manufacturer. They often have standard kits available for sensing, and should have them in NEMA 4X.

Thanks for the input on this. The valve is made by Singer so I will reach out to them too. The ultrasonic may be worth checking into also.