New siemens hardware platform

Thanks to SPS_Thomas on sps-forum.de for finding this.

You can already buy a Hans Berger book about S7-1500:
http://www.publicis-books.de/cms/we...tisierungstechnik.htm&action=detail&pid=30179

A snippet from the description:
Mit SIMATIC S7-1500 werden durch zahlreiche Innovationen neue Maßstäbe in puncto Leistung und Produktivität in der Steuerungstechnik gesetzt. Der neue Controller gewährleistet mit einer einzigartigen Systemperformance und mit PROFINET als Standard-Interface kurze Systemreaktionszeiten und höchste Regelgüte bei maximaler Flexibilität für anspruchsvollste Automatisierungsaufgaben.

Ein neuer Rückwandbus mit hoher Baudrate und effizientem Übertragungsprotokoll bieten diese herausragende Systemperformance.

And from the front page of the book you can gleen the following:
It will not be based on ET200SP, but will be a new design, similar in configuration to S7-300.
Same kind of special alu rail like S7-300.
CPU to the left, modules attach to the right. Modules are somewhat narrower but with 16 channels per module. Cant see how 32 channels can be possible.
A small display and a few buttons (to change modes, see diagnostics ?).

S71500_leaked.gif

Text translated;

With SIMATIC S7-1500 with numerous innovations setting new standards of performance and productivity are set in control technology. The new controller provides a unique system performance and with PROFINET interface as standard short system response times and high control performance and maximum flexibility for the most demanding automation tasks.

A new backplane with high baud rate and efficient transmission protocol offer this outstanding system performance.

With PLCopen, the SIMATIC S7-1500 controller standardized modules for connecting PROFIdrive-enabled drives without additional modules. Extensive trace functions allow precise diagnosis of user programs and motion applications, optimizing the drives. The integrated safety concept includes protection levels and block ciphers, as well as communication integrity and protects the investment and contributes to a high plant availability.

In the book, the new automation system is presented in detail. Learn how the uniform operating concept for controller, HMI and drives in the TIA Portal is implemented with a uniform data management and how to take advantage of the TIA Portal efficiently.

Looks like spring connectors in those cards. I would think they can house 32 points easily.

What do you think, do they drop stl on that one too?

The 32-channel modules on S7-300 are somewhat cramped even with the extra-high lid installed.
32-channels in the more narrow modules in S7-1500 will be awfully cramped.

I normally use the pre-wired connectors for the high density I/O cards or the Phoenix ribbon cable kit. It's the way forward for high density I/O.

Nick

I normally use the pre-wired connectors for the high density I/O cards or the Phoenix ribbon cable kit. It's the way forward for high density I/O.
But what is the purpose of these high-density i/o ? If you have to split out to a separate terminal strip, what has been gained, except from unnecessary complexity and expense ?
Is it to get better access to the terminals ?
Or to circumvent the limitation of max 32 i/o modules on S7-300 ?
For both reasons it is better to go to for example ET200S straight away.
That is why I hoped for a new PLC more like IM151-8 and ET200S, rather than a new PLC similar to S7-300.

The 32-channel modules on S7-300 are somewhat cramped even with the extra-high lid installed.
32-channels in the more narrow modules in S7-1500 will be awfully cramped.

Yes they are. But becouse of height like you say. That module in that picture to me looks like much better designed. It looks like there is more space in height for wiring. Naturally this is just pretty pointless speculation for now and it could be eitherway.