new to dslaunch and Direct Logic

i have read the manual and the closest answer to.my question I find is throughout chapter 2, and those are the pictures. I dont find any wording that specifically say these numbers are the address numbers. Naturally I thought they were but figured since we were talking, I could verify my assumptions

Numbering starts at the highest terminal, and zig-zags down. See the picture in this PDF for the D2-16NA:

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/d216na.pdf

This module has two commons. One for the first 8 inputs (CA), and one for the second 8 inputs (CB). The numbers on the terminals refer to the last digit in the address. Your first module would be as follows:
   CA <-- Common for X0-X7

X0

X1

X2

X3

X4

X5

X6

X7

NC <-- No Connection

CA <-- Common for X10-X17

X10

X11

X12

X13

X14

X15

X16

X17

🍻

-Eric

Thank you. By looking at that PDF it looked to me like the zig zagging went from 0 on left 4 on second right then under the 0 is 1 and under the 4 is 5 and so on

The labeling on the left is an exact template for the actual terminals on the right. The numbers in the top section representing the last digit for the first group of eight addresses and the bottom section for the last eight. And since there are only 8 LED indicators a two position switch is provided to either show the status of the top group (position A) or of the bottom group (position B).

Our schematic draftsmen had endless hours of discussion on how to represent this. Some insisting that the schematic is just a wiring diagram, not a physical layout. Others wanted the schematic for this type of card (and there are others, both input and output, with this format) to reflect the physical to make it less confusing for the people doing the panel wiring.

We ended up with mistakes either way.

Last edited:
so which is correct? The example from Eric or the manual? I am very glad I asked this question... Like I said before I thought it was the order as the picture 0123 on the left and CA,4,5,6,7 on the right.

Yes, you are correct, Davoli. Sorry for the confusion.

We ended up with mistakes either way.
And apparently I also made a mistake with my diagram... :oops:

Here's a second attempt:
   CA <-- Common for X0-X7

X0

X4

X1

X5

X2

X6

X3

X7

NC <-- No Connection

CB <-- Common for X10-X17

X10

X14

X11

X15

X12

X16

X13

X17

🍻

-Eric

I think I understand what you are saying. The DL, and all, DL, PLC, scan from top to bottom, left to right, which i think is unorthodox from the others. However, once you get to know the Direct Logic software, you will find it is a very easy programming PLC, yet with a very good instruction set with many math applications. I have written many very complicated programs and with much ease. The addressing scheme is very straight forward, as not in the AB controls. My 2 cents

tony
🍻🍻

Even though the poster was asking about terminal order on a particular module I'll address Arkyny's post.

The DL systems seem to solve an individual rung in the same manner as all others I've encountered except for Modicon. Their 'networks' are laid out in a spreadsheet type fashion with possibly multiple rungs. The entire network is 'solved' by evaluating each 'cell' (which may contain a contact or comparison or yet higher level instructions) vertically from top to bottom for the first column. It then starts at the top of the next column and solves it one cell at a time again from top to bottom. The 'cells' may involve different rungs, as we usually know them. This can lead to the final state of an output coil near the right side having no effect on its contacts in lower rungs, but a column closer to the left hand side, in this same network. It takes a little getting used to.

Yeah, go to the Automation Direct website, go to the search bar, add your typical module and it shows the IO. Great website. And dont forget the RSS programming, love it.

I'm having a hard time with the math functions. I don't have any if my manuals in front of me so I will post tomorrow to ask some questions. I remember my main question was going to be from the I/0 map for inputs and outputs. I was wondering if the v40400 or something like that is for slot 0 and so on. I will be more in detail tomorrow with the exact numbers for inputs but it had me confused. Talk to you tomorrow :)

:confused:Davoli, the io is octal, for instance, x0-x7, outputs y0-y7, then next x10-x17, and so on. There is a very good help section that explains the IO on the Automation Direct website and they have excellent tech support

tony

Last edited: