new with PLC!

leitmotif said:
NONE. The only force bringing both bullets down is gravity. It is constant so both bullets stay in the air the same time. The only thing you change by changing angle of gun is distance.

Dan Bentler

Not so. When the gun is fired horizontally, we only have a horizontal component to the vector of the motion of the bullet at the moment it leaves the gun. The lack of a vertical component means it will hit the ground at the same time as one which is dropped. If the gun is pointing upward then there is a vertical component to its motion which must be taken into account (that's why the bullet goes further).

surferb said:
More importantly aerodynamic effects (lift) from the shape and rifling. You've also got air resistance that's proportional to the velocity squared, which differs with the angle.

Sorry Nathan but no - this puzzle took place on the surface of my flat, frictionless version of Earth so the flight time of both bullets was determined only by t = sqrt(2h/g)

Agh, but of course! I must have overlooked that small detail.

ToolGuyFred's right though. And this is a high school kinematics problem. We're so used to thinking of idealized physics examples that we forgot to stop and think about the problem. That basic physics argument is about dropping versus shooting a bullet horizontally (lift still could apply).

So you gotta start with h=1/2gt^2+v0(y)t+h0, g being negative

You get .5gt^2+v0sin(theta)t-h=0. All your t coefficients are constants so I'll let you go wild with the quadratic equation (-b+-sqr(b^2-4ac)/2a), if my memory serves me.

In simpler terms, if the only thing you change is distance, but not time, think what would have to happen to the speed. V=d/t. Does that mean that the bullet goes notably faster at higher angles?

krk said:
Sorry Nathan but no - this puzzle took place on the surface of my flat, frictionless version of Earth so the flight time of both bullets was determined only by t = sqrt(2h/g)

Last edited:
Paulus said:
GIT,

The doctor is the boys mother!

Did you cheat and look at the answer :) just kidding...

I will start a new OT thread (when I get time)... I love the games that make you think out of the box :D

-----------------------------------

ToolGuyFred,
What do you know about shooting guns :D (another joke) when this first came up I was going to send you a PM... glad you joined in :)

surferb said:
In simpler terms, if the only thing you change is distance, but not time, think what would have to happen to the speed. V=d/t. Does that mean that the bullet goes notably faster at higher angles?

If I remember correctly is should come back to the 0 degree line at the same speed it was shot at :oops:

That's correct if you neglect drag.

I was commenting on the speed (|v|). I think if Dan's statement about distance changing but not time was true, you'd get weird side effects.

chud said:
If I remember correctly is should come back to the 0 degree line at the same speed it was shot at :oops:

A son and father were in a bad car wreck.

The ambulance driver brings the boy into the emergency room and tells them that he needs emergency surgery (he was in a bad car wreck)

So the nurse calls the doctor “we need to perform surgery asap”

The doctor says “I can’t perform surgery on him, he is my son”

How is this possible?
I see TWO correct answers, with the syntax as is: "A son and father" is not specific about the relationship between the two subjects. If it said "A son and HIS father, then the surgeon must be the son's mother. If the son and father are actually not even related, then the son could be the doctor's son and the father could also be the father of someone else, in which case the doctor may be either the mother or father of the son.

Adjectives were invented to make pronouns more specific.

Last edited:
Dua Anjing said:
it also shows us that when programming anything we really need to be very specific our desriptions of operation/interpretation of functional spec etc
Hooo Yus.

I am finding bugs in programs which are 15+ years old. Some of these only come to light when the mechanical parts wear and the timings of different interracting sub-assemblies change.

Didn't someone at the US defence department once come up with a figure for this? I seem to recall something like there is one mistake/bug for every 180 instructions of a fully working and tested program?

panic mode said:
Lancie,

this must be the best possible answer (y)
(carefull here, anyone offers THREE...?)

What if the Father and the Son were the same person?

P.S. GIT, No, I didn't cheat, just happened to know that one :D .

geniusintraining said:
Very good...

I have a game that we play (our family) that reminds me of that..

Question:
There was a truck that was driving across a bridge... the weight limit was 5000lbs (or you can convert to metric :) )... if the truck weighed anything over 5000lbs the bridge would collapse, 1000ft in to the river....the truck weighed exactly 5000lbs

So the truck slowly started to creep across the bridged...half way a cross the bridge a large bird landed on the truck, the bird weighed 8oz (again you can convert)

The truck still continued across the bridge safely... can you tell me why they did not drop to the river below??

If anyone plays I will post the answer... this is not the best example of the game but its the only one I remember... I have not had my coffee yet :D

The bird thought something on the cab looked yummy so instead of "landing" on the truck it actually tried to grab something and fly away? Thus not adding to the weight of the truck but actually reducing it? I don't know...lol

JUST prior to the bird landing on the truck the driver had just finished eliminating all the coffee he had drunk. The liquid effluvia estimated at approx one pint (approx 16 oz) to maybe a quart (approx 32 oz) fell thru the open grated bridge therefore reducing total mass and weight. Therefore when bird reposed upon the truck the total weight of truck driver and bird was less than 5,000.

Just a whiz bang notion !!!!!!!!!!
Howzat for a Pi**er??

Dan Bentler

ToolGuyFred said:

Didn't someone at the US defence department once come up with a figure for this? I seem to recall something like there is one mistake/bug for every 180 instructions of a fully working and tested program?
My program don't have bugs... just undocumented features.