NON RUDE JUNOIRS - DO's & DONT'S

I read that Post Peter, It Did think it was over designed.
I also noted a further post - training PLC with top of the range equipment -
might be good - but it did sound like overkill for a non-school related environment.
I also agree on the statement of completion of task -
It may stop People from restarting posts 5 years old

I read that Post Peter, It Did think it was over designed.
I also noted a further post - training PLC with top of the range equipment -
might be good - but it did sound like overkill for a non-school related environment.
I also agree on the statement of completion of task -
It may stop People from restarting posts 5 years old

Just a thought.... Once it,s been deemed that a thread has run it,s course and the relevant question has been answered, would it not be worthwhile locking the thread so it can,t be reposted or reopened !! This would stop many threads years old being reopened.

Just a thought.... :confused:

Regards

JV

not in our control - But it may be posible that new info could be added.

I don't mind - Just wish people would check the OP post date first

Just a thought.... Once it,s been deemed that a thread has run it,s course and the relevant question has been answered, would it not be worthwhile locking the thread so it can,t be reposted or reopened !! This would stop many threads years old being reopened.
It has been suggested before. I suggested that if someone posts in an old thread, then a pop-up should ask if the poster is really sure that he wants to do that. But nothing happened.
I think that Phil has very little time to modify the setup of the forum software.

not in our control - But it may be posible that new info could be added.

I don't mind - Just wish people would check the OP post date first

Based on that there will always be old threads being brought up time and time again... If people wanted to add relevant information to a locked or sticky thread then they would have to go down the route of contacting a administrator or somebody like that... Are there no senior members or volenteers who could manage this on behalf of Phil ? Once a thread has run it,s course people don,t generally add to it, they ask or re-ask a question similar to it using the old thread...

regards

JV

Last edited:
Re locking old threads:
It could be acceptable, if no other "cleverer" solutions could be implemented.
If you want to continue an old and locked thread, you can start a new thread, and link to the old thread as a reference.

maybe the answer is to add a "Post new thread" tag next to the reply button

Gosh, you guys are tilting at windmills, solving a problem that does not exist. If you only want to look at stuff less than 6 months old, then each time you start PLCtalk.net, do a search for posts "6 months old or less".

It is the old posts that make this site valuable for searching for answers. If you cut out all that, you are left with a social networking site. Go to Facebook if inane chit-chat is all you want.

Old posts are not a problem.
Restarting old posts is not a problem.
Answersing old posts is not a problem.
Complaining about old posts- now you are creating problems.

Ditto again

It is the old posts that make this site valuable for searching for answers. If you cut out all that, you are left with a social networking site. Go to Facebook if inane chit-chat is all you want.

I think it a shame the same info is posted in multiple places. Think of how many man hours of info and years of experience are on this site. Just because the info is over 6 months old it doesn't mean it is useless. The big problem is finding what you want. Most of the rookies don't know how to Google search a web site. Many rookies don't even know what to search for!!!

I think it would be good to have a separate section that had common problems as stickies. This way the same type of problems would be all in one place. It would be good to have the equivalent of smart folders but that is more work for Phil.

One more thing. Many people posting I would NEVER hire and they shouldn't be trusted with a PLC. Their questions show a lack of high school algebra, basic thinking skills, ability to do some research and how the world works. What is really funny is getting similar questions on LinkedIn where they could be searching for a job. Posting a question poorly is a good way to let the world know you are clueless. THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS!!!

When we interview people for a software/engineering position I don't expect them to have any answers about what we do. I do expect them to have good questions.

Rookies, your questions will be on the internet for a long time so make the good.

Last edited:
The big problem is finding what you want.
Peter, that has been my problem my entire life. Talk to Phil Melore. He might be glad to have someone willing to go through all the old files and sort them into categories. Anyone up for some pro-bono work?

EDIT: Looking at some old posts, they are 99% about "PLCs", and in the PLC category, many would fall into the "Other" or "Miscellaneous" or "Unclassified" groups.

Last edited:
if the old posts were not here then we couldnt ask people to search for them

It,s not a question of nor was it suggested to delete old posts, they should be available to read as and when required. What was suggested due to old posts being brought back to life years later was to lock them so they could,nt !

How often does it happen that a question has been answered to a post and it,s forgotten about for some time only for somebody else to come along and ask the same question on the same post... more often than not the answer has already been given through the content of the post but the person asking the new question has,nt been bothered to read the entire post through so they simply ask the same question over again.

I for one when I see a new post often read the entire thread through to see if it,s been answered only to get to the end of it to find a new question relevant to the old post that has already been answered...

Just my 2cents worth...