Not able to disable DHCP on AmorBlock Error 16#10

dr_snuggles

Hey,

I have 3 ArmorBlocks in my System. one worked fine.At the 2 others i can not disable the DHCP. I tried BootP an get Error 16,

I tried RSLinx and get the fault message that it was not possbile to set the atributes for DHCP/BootP.

I treid rSStudio and get fault 16#10

Anybody here has any idea whats wrong in this? The switches are on 999.

Hope anybody can help here.

Update: After i set the ipadress with Bootp the module itself works fine

The Doc

you need to change the address to fixed value. if you power them off and next time there is no boootp server the devices will no have valid IP settings. RSLinx lets you do this easily

What you mean with this?
I have givem them a fixed ip with bootp, after this i try to disable the DHCP. In all 3 softwares I get a fault that this is not done correctly as I wrote.

Do you mean to setup the dip switches to a IP adresse? this is not possible because the subnet is not 192.168.1.XXX

Are the ArmorBlocks connected to your PLC as you are setting them? There is a known issue with some types of modules/devices where if they are configured as part of a project, then once the PLC establishes a connection (due to the IP address being set) then attempts to disable BootP will fail with error 16.

The fix is to temporarily inhibit the module in RSLogix, or to not physically connect the module to the PLC network until BootP has been disabled.

Error code 16(decimal): Device State Conflict (General Error Code 0x10) most likely means that device is owned by the controller and does not allow any changes in this state.
As mentioned above, you need to inhibit the connection first. If this is a Safety Armor block, then you also need to reset the ownership. Once you set it to Static, then you can un-inhibit it.

Considering the problems I almost always have with AB's BootP, I usually end up having to disable all network adapters except the one connected to the device and have that one connected only to the device. And even then it's not always a smooth process.

For a lot of things, I've had better luck with a little utility called "IP Assign" from Phoenix Contact, but my bookmarked link to it doesn't work any more and I can't find it on their website.

The RA BOOTP tool has been largely discontinued. It's (very poorly advertised) replacement is the Ethernet/IP Commissioning Tool, which is installed along with newer versions of Logix. It has it's own fair share of quirks, but overall I've found it much more reliable than the old school BOOTP/DHCP tool.

any other ideas?
Not trying to be rude, but you got the solution in posts 4 and 5 above.
Why you are ignoring these?
Since you mentioned processor, it means that you have an active module connection that will prevent changes.

Not trying to be rude, but you got the solution in posts 4 and 5 above.
Why you are ignoring these?
Since you mentioned processor, it means that you have an active module connection that will prevent changes.

I not ignored them as I wrote

I switched of PLC completly and then try to disable BootP with the same fault. So still can not disable the two blocks even with PLC completely off.

do I missunderstand something? There is no other active block which should stop this. I already unplugged the module completly from the hole network and just connect my laptop with it. even this brings me the same fault.

Felix

I read your "switched of PLC" as "replaced PLC", looks like you meant "Switched OFF" :)
Did you cycle power on the IO module after PLC turned OFF?
Is this a safety module?

In any case, I recommend to use 888 switch settings to erase module completely, then set to 999 and try assign address while connected directly.

Last edited:
Here you go

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-au/products/software-ipassign-2701094

Considering the problems I almost always have with AB's BootP, I usually end up having to disable all network adapters except the one connected to the device and have that one connected only to the device. And even then it's not always a smooth process.

For a lot of things, I've had better luck with a little utility called "IP Assign" from Phoenix Contact, but my bookmarked link to it doesn't work any more and I can't find it on their website.