Siemens S7/TIA v16: Is there a way to disable all the used AI channels on an SM 1231?

I don't know on SM1231, but on the AI modules I use, I can select the measurement type for each channel, and I can chose from 'Current (4-wire transducer)', 'Current (2-wire transducer)' and 'Deactivated'.

I don't know on SM1231, but on the AI modules I use, I can select the measurement type for each channel, and I can chose from 'Current (4-wire transducer)', 'Current (2-wire transducer)' and 'Deactivated'.

Cheers Jesper.
I've got a feeling this is not possible on SM1231...I would have thought it would be reasonably obvious (even for me) where the 'disable channel' option would be.

There is no real reason for disabling a channel just don't use it, some like RTD cards it is recomended that unused channels are shorted or linked (Siemens S5 was one where it caused problems).

There is no real reason for disabling a channel just don't use it, some like RTD cards it is recomended that unused channels are shorted or linked (Siemens S5 was one where it caused problems).

Cheers for this, I was thinking with my Mitsubishi hat on, where I saw commands in the ANALOGUES window where channels were enabled/disabled. End of the day, I don't suppose it matters.

If its a mA analog input card wont there be system errors if the channels aren't deactivated and they are not wired?

Cheers for this, I was thinking with my Mitsubishi hat on, where I saw commands in the ANALOGUES window where channels were enabled/disabled. End of the day, I don't suppose it matters.

I believe this isn't a thing in Siemens world as you'd need to download the new hardware configuration whenever you enabled/disabled the channel. Not entirely sure how it goes on TIA Portal, but it was the case on Step7.

If its a mA analog input card wont there be system errors if the channels aren't deactivated and they are not wired?

In many applications I've seen channels wired in series to avoid this.

I'm no expert, but I think you can UNTICK the boxes called
  • "Enable broken wire diagnostics" and
  • "Enable overflow diagnostics"
for the channels that are not used. That should suppress any errors associated with those channels.

I'm no expert, but I think you can UNTICK the boxes called
  • "Enable broken wire diagnostics" and
  • "Enable overflow diagnostics"
for the channels that are not used. That should suppress any errors associated with those channels.

Yes thats why i stated this. And correct. But as Cardosocea stated that a download is necessary which will stop the plc. So the correct way is to do as he stated