NTP with a ControlLogix

phuz

I want to have starting having customer PLCs updated per NTP, and I grabbed Rockwell's AOI (v2) for the SNTP connection. I'm doing this with an L81E processor, so I would think this should work, but it's erroring.
Anyone have success with using this?

I think I may have solved my own issue here. Looking at the instruction logic, I was able to see why the messages were failing. These AOIs are setup for an EN2X module in a dedicated slot, so the message path is being hardcoded in the logic, somewhat. By temporarily changing the message path from "1, 6" to "THIS" the message started working, and the NTP connection completed successfully.

I need to modify the AOI and re-import it, but hopefully this helps someone else.

You can use L8x processor, by messaging to itself using the same method 1, <slot number>
Instead of THIS.

For this specific AOI you can specify L81E controller slot under the ENET_Slot_Number tag

Last edited:
You can use L8x processor, by messaging to itself using the same method 1, <slot number>
Instead of THIS.

For this specific AOI you can specify L81E controller slot under the ENET_Slot_Number tag

Interesting as I tried that and it still failed. Hmm

Looks like I'm going to learn something new today. I didn't know that there was a successful, tested, distributed implementation of a Network Time Protocol for the ControlLogix/CompactLogix.

In fact, I just got done asserting strongly that there wasn't. In my defense, I said "not built into the product", and the actual user has an SLC-5/03 so the incorrect assertion won't hurt him.

Now I'm gonna go look at the NTP client. I've got a classic 1756-EWEB to try it on.

Phuz, are any of your client's systems using CIP Motion or CIP Safety ? The interaction of a change to the CST clock with the precision time sources is one thing that concerns me.

Hello all,

You all might have more experience with this but I just did it for the first time so I wanted to share my experience.

• I went to Rockwell's site and downloaded the "SNTP AOI for Logix Controllers" AOI.

• Opened my Studio 5000 and imported the rungs from the AOI. I pointed it at a Google NTP server and the block would error out. I was using a 1756-L81e and had the AOI set to slot 0.

• Installed a 1756-EN2T module into the rack and set the AOI to message out of it (slot 1). The message completed and verified that time was updating just fine!

From my very limited test it seems like the 1756-EN2T can handle socket messages (or whatever is required to make the AOI work), whereas the L81e was not able to do the same thing. Maybe I need to set up something differently for the L81e, but anyway that is my experience.

I attached a picture of the AOI description from Rockwell for reference. Thanks all!

Capture.PNG

Last edited: