O.T. Converting PRN file to a PDF.

Mike,

I couldn't find anything on my Mac that would even open the file. And I can 'almost' always open them. I'll look some more. Luckily my Mac does Windoze so I can check there too.

Yes, I'm also a published graphic artist but I'm a Centrist NOT a liberal. :whistle:

Rod

Jesper,

What I didnt know when I started this thread is that I need a utility to generate a Windows view of a HP-PCL vector graphics file (generated by a DOS based CAD application). The file is actually decoded by the printer firmware. If I try sending the file to another printer (other then an HP laser printer) all that comes out is garbage, (the actual print commands in a 500 page long stream). Newer printers intended for use with Windows dont have the necessary firmware. Therefore some type of utility is needed to print the file (like VaryView).

Yes the "ladder.prn" is a drawing of an actual ladder, not PLC code. Bad example to use on this fourm maybe.... Sorry for the confusion.

elevmike said:
Jesper,

What I didnt know when I started this thread is that I need a utility to generate a Windows view of a HP-PCL vector graphics file (generated by a DOS based CAD application). The file is actually decoded by the printer firmware. If I try sending the file to another printer (other then an HP laser printer) all that comes out is garbage, (the actual print commands in a 500 page long stream). Newer printers intended for use with Windows dont have the necessary firmware. Therefore some type of utility is needed to print the file (like VaryView).

Yes the "ladder.prn" is a drawing of an actual ladder, not PLC code. Bad example to use on this fourm maybe.... Sorry for the confusion.

I actually printed your file on a Canon Network multipurpose printer (printer, scanner, copier, fax) so it does work on newer printers! And your "ladder" logic came out just fine... Reference: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=11799

Cheers
Borte

Rod said:
Yes, I'm also a published graphic artist but I'm a Centrist NOT a liberal. :whistle:

Rod

Mac users (I know) Score so far.

Artist 13

Liberals 12
Centrist 1 (you)
Consevatives 0

Actually I started with Apple I (kit), Apple IIe, Mac, then was forced into Windows PCs some 15 years ago due to the heavy predomonice of available PC software for what I do.

IMO Apple totally missed the boat by NOT licensing their OS wich was and still seems to be light years ahead.

Mike I never noticed what Dos version of TCAD you had and its been a while since I have worked with it...actually been a while since I have done any cad work.

The last time I worked with TCAD the version I had was compatible with the dos versions so I did a little checking, on the bottom of this page is TurboCad version 2.3 (free but unsupported) that should let you convert Dos v 3.01 and 3.02 files to .tcw...I think it will let you do a batch conversion but like I said it has been a few years so not sure.
http://www.turbocad.com/support/patches.asp

Thanks for the link Ron,

The drawings were done using TurboCad 1.90A (1992). I did purchase the upgrade to TC 3.0 way back, but the commands were so different, it was like starting from scratch, so I didnt bother with it.

One peice of good news is I discoverd a utility (in TC 1.90A) to convert the TC files to DXF or visa versa. I've gotta play with this but I think that it'll get me where I need to go.

The long and short of it all is I've trapped myself by NOT taking the time to learn the upgrades (that we have already purchased), and continuing to use the older version for so long, thereby compounding the issue.