Omron barcode ascii string problem

Shawn Cassidy

Hi,
I'm working on an Omron CPM2C plc that is communicating with a Microscan MS-3 laser barcode scanner. I need to read a label with two different barcodes on it. One barcode is the LOT the other is the product code. I'm able to read both barcodes with the scanner and send the string to the plc serially. The problem is the order in which the barcodes are sent to the plc. Sometimes the string will be sent with the first barcode at the beginning of the string and sometimes it is sent at the end. In order to verify each barcode separately I'll need to either put the string in the proper order or move each string into it's own register then compare each on it's own. I'm able to send the string from the barcode with a comma between both barcode strings which will help in identifying the start and end of each barcode string. The length of the barcodes may change in the future. The existing Omron plc that I'm using has very limited functions, but I'd rather not replace it at the moment.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Very difficult project!

The Omron CPM series is very limited when it comes to ascii handling instructions.

Take a look at the SRCH instruction (Data Search). With a little work, you may be able to use this instruction to locate the comma, then you could MOV or XFER the data to split the strings.

Here is a link to the programming manual

W353 Manual at Mr.PLC.com

The newer CP1L/CP1H series processors do have full text/ascii handling instructions. Depending on how much you need to do with the strings, it might be less expensive to change processors. Just depends on what your time is worth.

Hope this will help

I'm installing several other barcode stations with the new Omron CP1L plc's. They do a much better job when it comes to handling strings data. This one unfortunately, has to remain for the moment...

I'll look at that instruction.
Thanks