Omron C200HS not in run mode

Hello, first off I am not a PLC programmer so bare with me....

We have specialized glass lathe that has a C200HS PLC system that has probably sat dormant most of it life and is barely used. Last time we powered the unit was 5 years ago and it worked fine. At that time I used a PC and a trial version of CX one to download the program in case anything ever happened to it.

This week we went to power up the machine it appears the PLC wont go into run mode as there is no run light and none of the output lights respond. The input card lights still work. I assumed the batteries went dead and it lost its program, but the batteries still read 3.0V and to my surprise when I connected the PC, the program was still in the PLC.

When I initially connect to the PLC the program says it is "stopped" on the PC, then I use the PC to tell the program to "run" but the status then turns to something like "running -standby" or something. I am not an expert in this so I need to read more up on this. The PLC run light never turns on.

I am just googling similar problems and it seems there could be a hardware failure maybe? I read someone else had a similar problem and it turned out to be an analog card, but what tool in the software do I use to check the cards?

Also there is a ASC02 module so does this have its own programming that could have been lost?

Is it possible the program is there but it is missing some tables of settings or something?

My trial version of CX one says it was expired, but then it let me continue on in the program and connect to the PC... is that preventing me from doing anything?

Thanks!

Looks like there is a red LED on the processor.
Is it the ALM/ERR LED?
Is it solid or blinking?

With CX-Programmer, can you look at the Error Log of the PLC?

gtsuport

GTsupport, thank you for the reply. I think the solid colored amber light is for the COMM2, because once I connect to the PLC the COMM1 light comes on also.

It does not appear to be any errors other than the power down error from me turning it off.

I have attached some more pictures which maybe would shed some light on something.

Thanks again.

IMG_4881.jpg IMG_4882.jpg IMG_4883.jpg IMG_4884.jpg IMG_4885.jpg

Yes, when you initially connect to the PLC it says "Monitor mode-standby". Forgive my ignorance, but is monitor mode like it sounds meaning the PLC in not running and you are just monitoring it? Or should it be "running" while in monitor mode?

Can an input trigger "run" mode in a PLC? maybe it is that simple that I am missing an input signal?

I can go to the PLC drop down and change the status from monitor to "Run" and then the status and the bottom says"Run mode-standby", but the run light does not turn on and the outputs still dont work.

Just a thought, On many Omrons there is a run contact if utilised then this has to be on to run, came across this many times i.e. aux off E-stop relay connected to run contact not sure if 200H has this but I remember the C500 used to have them.

found this in the manual but no idea what is on the CPU etc.
RUN mode is the mode used for normal program execution. When the switch is
set to RUN and the START input on the CPU Power Supply Unit is ON, the CPU
Unit will begin executing the program according to the program written in its Program Memory. Although monitoring PC operation from the Programming Console is possible in RUN mode, no data in any of the memory areas can be input or changed

Not worked on Omron for about 20 years so very rusty.

I seem to remember a standby AR bit when an interrupt happenned and took a while to process. Seeing the counter cards jiggled the thought.

I'm with parky. Been a looong time since I've used one of these.

Thanks everybody, yes this thing is ancient.

Parky, I also just saw this in the specs that there is a "control input signal" along with the "control output signal" in the spec sheet for this C200HS-CPU31..... but on the CPU there is only the run output contact and no run input contact?? I wonder where the physical location of the terminals would be?

Also, even though the batteries read 3.0 V, maybe I should just replace them and see what happens. The first page in the manuals states something about the outputs turning off if the battery is low and it looses the data retention bit.

5. The Output OFF Bit (SR 25215) must be programmed to remain OFF. (The status of
this bit will be unstable without a battery.)
25315 (First Cycle Flag)
RSET
6. The Forced Status Hold Bit (SR 25211) and Data Retention Control Bit (SR 25212)
must be set to be cleared in the PC Setup. (The status of these bits will be unstable
without a battery.

Yes, when you initially connect to the PLC it says "Monitor mode-standby". Forgive my ignorance, but is monitor mode like it sounds meaning the PLC in not running and you are just monitoring it? Or should it be "running" while in monitor mode?

"Monitoring" in Omron means the CPU is running the program, but it allows for online editing. When it's in "Running" mode, the CPU is also running the program, but you cannot do online editing (using CX-Programmer).

I found the following information about "Standby Mode", but I would rather be the one in front of the computer with CX-Programmer to know for sure if this is the issue.

Online Editing

When online editing is executed from a Programming Device, operation will be
interrupted for a maximum of 80 ms and interrupts will be masked to rewrite the
user program. No warnings will be given for long cycle times during this interval.
Check the effects on I/O response time before editing the program online.
When bits 00 to 07 of AR 25 contain the password code of “5A,” online editing will
be disabled and the CPU Unit will be in standby status while the Online Edit Disable Bit (AR 2509) is ON. The Online Edit Standby Flag (AR 2510) will be ON
while the CPU Unit is in standby status. Processing will be executed when AR
2509 is turned OFF. (AR 2510 will be turned OFF, too.)

TL;DR - Turn off the AR2509 bit in the CPU using CX-Programmer (if this is the issue).

I believe the run input is either on the PSU or possibly an input on I/O set to a run input (not sure about the input on I/O but some PLC's can be set this way like Mitsubishi).
It is definitely worth looking at, come across many presses etc. where the run input is tied into the safety system, almost in every case this was on machinery that had been purchased from a second hand distributor, I certainly remember a couple bothe were steel presses/forming machines, got called in as the PLC was not in run, linkede the run contact, uploaded the program so had a copy, the customer was informed that the fault was somewhere in the e-stop/safety circuit, turned out to be a loose wire on an e-stop.
Edit:
Just had a quick scan of another manual & it does not mention a run input like the previous one (that's weird), however, there is some mention about if the programming console is disconnected while in stop mode it will not go back into run without connecting programmer & resetting it, perhaps the bit has somehow been altered, there is also some mention of communications apparently there is some function that can stop the run if it fails to communicate but not looked into that. this PLC is EOL I think if you could get the program out nmight be worth replacing it.

Last edited: