Omron PLC to KUKA robot

dinesh920

Hi all,
First time posting here. I have a Omron NX1P2-1040DT controller that I intend to use for a small project. I also have a KUKA robot that has Beckhoff EK1100 Ethernet coupler with a bunch of cards attached to it. I would like to connect the Omron plc to the KUKA using EtherCat protocol.

When I try to connect an Ethernet cable from Omron Port 2 to EK1100 second port, red led turn on at "Net Err" on omron plc. Since both has EtherCat, I assume that we do not need to configure anything but error appear.

May I know how to communicate Omron PLC to the KUKA?

Beckhoff:
Ethernet coupler: EK1100
EL1809
EL2809
EL2622
EL9100

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided (apologies if this question has already been posted).

Hi all,
First time posting here. I have a Omron NX1P2-1040DT controller that I intend to use for a small project. I also have a KUKA robot that has Beckhoff EK1100 Ethernet coupler with a bunch of cards attached to it. I would like to connect the Omron plc to the KUKA using EtherCat protocol.

When I try to connect an Ethernet cable from Omron Port 2 to EK1100 second port, red led turn on at "Net Err" on omron plc. Since both has EtherCat, I assume that we do not need to configure anything but error appear.

May I know how to communicate Omron PLC to the KUKA?

Beckhoff:
Ethernet coupler: EK1100
EL1809
EL2809
EL2622
EL9100

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided (apologies if this question has already been posted).
Hi,

It is not as simple as just plugging in the Ethernet cable from the PLC to the robot.

You have to configure a project in WorkVisual and have the ESI file of the robot imported in you PLC programming environment.

In WorkVisual all of the inputs and outputs that you intend to use should be configured and the same configuration should be imported in PLC environment.

Perhaps you could look up at KUKA manuals and videos.

Best Regards
Konstantin Kolev

Thank you for your reply. I was able to find ethercat manual to intergrate with KUKA. Seems like I need to get EL6692 to ensure the communication. I will try to contact KUKA keyperson to understand more regarding this issue.

Nonetheless, thank you for your input

Hi,

I am not sure if you need EL6692, since your Omron PLC will be the master and the KUKA robot will be the slave.

According to the description of EL6692 it is an EtherCAT bridge for a connection of two EtherCAT networks that have different masters.

Best Regards
Konstantin Kolev