Opening Panelviewplus 1000 config screen

I just powered up one of our PVP 1000 terminals and verified the firmware is "5.10.16.09 (CPR 9 SR 2)" and RSLinx and ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard show it to be a PanelView Plus 1000 and the Keyboard method DOES Work to bring up the Task Manager...

Wait...You accessed the Windows CE system Task Manager on a PanelView Plus version 5.1? That shouldn't be possible. On a PanelView Plus CE or the PV+6 or PV+7 you can, but not the standard PanelView Plus. The Windows environment is not supposed to be available for the PV+. Or did you mean the Configuration Menu?

OG

Now I see how to do that as well. When I open the file it gave me the option to open it in German or English. Learned even more. 🍻

Be are that the software doesn't do translation. It does language switching. Someone still has to do the translation. There is a tool to export all language items to an Excel file with a column for each language. Someone still has to go to that column and enter the translation. Then you import that file back into your application.

In your application, you can choose to create a runtime in one or more languages. Then provide a button if you want to allow operators to switch languages.

You can do the same thing with documentation in Studio 5000.

OG

Wait...You accessed the Windows CE system Task Manager on a PanelView Plus version 5.1? That shouldn't be possible. On a PanelView Plus CE or the PV+6 or PV+7 you can, but not the standard PanelView Plus. The Windows environment is not supposed to be available for the PV+. Or did you mean the Configuration Menu?

OG

I did access the task manger not only on the PVP 1000 but also tried it with a PVP 700 5.10... These panels all fit the description outlined in the automation blog website as being PanelView Plus models,
or maybe I am misunderstanding what is PanelView Plus or Panelview Plus CE, all I see on labels/rslinx/firmware wizard it is calling the panels PanelView Plus nothing about CE

I have not used a PanelView Plus CE in ages so I cannot say how they appear in FT/RSLinx.

It has been my experience that the standard PV+ does not allow access to the Windows CE 4.0 operating system. That is where the PanelView Plus CE fit in. The PanelView+ 6 and +7 do allow access (if enabled) to Windows CE 6.0.

OG

I have a PanelView Plus CE 1000 running 5.1, it is identified as CE in both RSLinx and FT Linx (examined in the transfer utility).

Since that one turned out to be a CE when I checked, I don't think I have any non-CE original PVP+ to test Windows accessibility on.

Out of curiosity, if Windows isn't accessible where does a Shutdown button send you? Just to the config menu?

To add to what I already checked in PVP 1000 and PVP 700 I disassembled the logic module and the compact flash card installed stated Cat no. 2711P-RW1 PV PLUS/ME 5.10.00 64MB Allen-Bradley, I remove CF and on the back was RACF256MM1UI-01 Windows CE.NET 4.1 Runtime.

I used the USB keyboard method Ctrl,Shift,Alt,Windows key to open Task Manager and then selected Run and entered Control.exe which open WinCE Control Panel, I then selected System Icon and opened the System Properties and on the General tab it states:

System:
Microsoft Windows CE .NET
Version 4.10 (Build 908)
RA Version 02.07 Build 003

Computer: Processor Type: Pentium III - Mobile Intel Celeron

Device Name tab states:
Device Name: PVP-2C9114
Device Description: Rockwell Automation 2711P-PVPlus

So maybe back when PVP were WinCE 4.0 you could not use a keyboard or access task manager / control panel, but version of WinCE 4.10 of a PVP is allowing access.

Last edited: