Ot Building a automatic pneumatic can crusher ideas.

No # goal, Just kicking around the idea of something to build to keep me busy at home. I like all of the ideas presented. It just goes their is more then one way to do anything. The main reason for using a pnematic cylinder is i am wanting more experience with them.

Keep the idea coming

2004sk4 said:
The main reason for using a pnematic cylinder is i am wanting more experience with them.

Keep the idea coming

Are you needing to use the cylinders in your original post? If so, what is the bore of the 5 inch stroke cylinders? You mention that they have a 1/2" shaft. On the other cylinder, 2 1/8" seems to me, to be an odd bore size. Is this true?

The cylinder with the 5 inch stroke has a 1.5 inch bore with 1/2 shaft.

The other 2 cylinders are small. 2 inch stroke 1/2 bore 1/8 shaft.

2004sk4 said:
No # goal, Just kicking around the idea of something to build to keep me busy at home. I like all of the ideas presented. It just goes their is more then one way to do anything. The main reason for using a pnematic cylinder is i am wanting more experience with them.

Keep the idea coming

Ahh, a home project! Say no more!

I have often daydreamed about running 1/4 poly tubing all over my house and replacing stuff like door closers with door openers! (shiny new Bimba cylinders...a few photocells, some valves and an ebay 'puter?)

Man, things I could do around here with 40psi...

You should try to make it autofeed the cans, and spit them in the trash can for sure...I like the idea of a drop control mechanism, crush them end to end with the cylinder, and let them fall through a carefully crafted slot at end of stroke...

I bet you could make it pretty quick too.

pneumatic_can_crusher.JPG

I have a bit of a funny story about can crushers, (densifiers). A local brewer (Molsons) used to have this old hydraulically activated can densifier under the can line at the plant. As one of the local hydraulic houses we used to get sent this thing every few years to rebuild and reseal it. It had a large hopper that recieved rejected can from the can line. They would fall down the chute into the hopper. When the level of cans reached a photo eye, the system would cycle, about 4 or 5 cycles and the unit would spit out a square block of crushed cans about 2 foot square. People here probably have seen these types of densifiers.

Anyways, one christmas we were sent this thing, I was tasked with cleaning it before we pulled the cylinders and valve manifolds. I pulled out over 48 full and partially full cans that had been lodged in various parts of the machine. Who knows how long these beer had been stuck here, covered in dried stale beer that sprays from the machine during the cycle. As well, I found a few roaches that had been attracted to the beer runnoff.

Along comes the company drunk, "hey free beer" and he proceeds to wash them all off and starts getting stinking drunk on stale and skunky beer.

Just goes to show truth in the statement " I have never met a beer that I didn't like"

2004sk4,

I'm presuming the cylinder list is what you have to work with. This concept uses the crusher cylinder power in both directions. The way the cylinder uses the power of the retract direction is it is lifting the flatening lid (1/2 plate) thus storing energy. Then when you want to crush the can the weight (of the flatening lid) and the push stroke combine with speed to crush the can. Then the bottom hinge would piviot 90 degrees to make a continious slide to empty the crusher. The toggle piviot is needed to give the two smaller cylinders enough stiffness to keep the bottom hinge up when crushing. The toggle roller rolls on a plate. The crushing forces would have to overcome the cammed over conditon of the toggle roller to fold
the bottom hinge over.
inertialcancrush2.JPG

inertialcancrush.JPG

inertialcancrush1.JPG