OT - Buy only what you need

I gotta say... this thread has really gone off into Bizzaro-World!

But, with respect to what that guy from Ohio said...
"Owning a car is not a right (find it in the Constitution). This is why you don't get your Miranda rights read to you after a speeding ticket. This is why the state doesn't presume innocence until proven guilty on other traffic-only offenses."

In general, I believe that "owning a car" comes under the "Life, Liberty, and pursuit of Happiness" thing. Driving a car on the public road-ways might be a different matter. But, in any case...

"This is why you don't get your Miranda rights read to you after a speeding ticket."

... you don't have to verbally respond to an officer of the law at all!

You might have to follow his instructions, but you do not have to say a single word in response to any question that the officer might ask!

Of course, you have to be willing to put up with any consequences of not having done so. However, you are not legally required to answer any questions in any case! At least, not until directed to do so by a Judge.

And... I belive, in any State, you should be able to demand, and get, a trial by a jury of your peers in ANY court action! In that case, you are indeed "supposed" to be innocent until proven guilty, subject to, of course, the rendering of that jury!

That is a very interesting question... Who are your peers?

By the way, read Constitutional Amendment IV, Jimmy.

Last edited:
I think alaric hit it on this one... The oil producers hava lot of control since they can control the production of their 'egg'.

A large egg farm is a poor analogy since the eggs will go bad if not sold. An oil producer can simply leave it in the ground if need be. It's not going to go bad if left alone.

SUVs

A good friend of mine bought a used (Iraqi war #1) deuce-and-a-half.

It gets 17 MPG on the highway burning diesel has 10 wheel drive and you can go anywhere you dang well want.

Downside is no roof over the cab, fillups require about 100 gallons and parking the thing is REAL FUN.

Terry,

You missed my whole point.

My point that "Driving is not a right" has to do with the complaining people do whenever gas prices are high.

For example, "How am I supposed to go to work? The gas is too expensive."

This thread has and always was about the economic aspects of driving. I was trying to make the point that no one owes you the right to drive anywhere and get cheap gas to boot!

And by the way, when was the last time you ever beat a speeding ticket when it was the officer's word against yours? (Just curious)

"And by the way, when was the last time you ever beat a speeding ticket when it was the officer's word against yours? (Just curious)"

The last time was when I was a kid (17). The Judge saw it my way!

I had a Ford Custom (289). The cop gave me a ticket for doing 0-to-50, on a city street (Chicago, 111th and Western, heading East into Morgan Park), within a half-block from the Stop Light. Hmmm... sounds plausible... maybe...

By the time I saw the Judge, my car could indeed accomplish that feat. My car was feeling much better by then. However, on the day in question, 12 of the 16 valves in that poor little 289 were blown! I was lucky to be moving at all, let alone 0-to-50 in a half-block!

When I showed the Judge the itemized bill for the repair, which occurred a few days after the ticket was issued, he said, "Case dismissed!"

The was the last time I was able to gain the sway.

Now, regarding the IVth Amendment... this is what it is supposed to mean...

The US Government gains only those Rights surrender to it by the States. The States gain only those Rights that are surrendered to it by the People! According to the scheme in the IVth Amendment, the States can NOT surrender Rights to the Fed that have NOT been surrendered to the States by the People.

That is, if the People of a particular State don't surrender a particular Right, then that Right is retained by the People of that State!

The Founders, in their wisdom, recognized that they might not have covered all of the bases. And so, they added the IVth Amendment to ensure that the ownership of any particular Right began with the People! It was then up to the People to decide whether or not they wanted to surrender that Right to the State. Only then did the particular State have the right to surrender that particular Right to the Fed. The assumption was that the States followed the same ideal.

I don't recall ever hearing of any legislation that surrenders the Right of Ownership to the State, nor to the Fed! As such, the Right to own an automobile remains, and is, in the hands of the People.

Now, as I indicated in my earlier post, there is a difference between the ownership of something and operating that something in/on the public venues. The public venues within a State can be Regulated by the State... however, only if the People call for such Regulation.

As long as you have the Right to own land, and the Right to own an automobile, you can do whatever you want with that automobile on your land!

My point is.... thanks to our Forefathers, the Right to own an automobile IS in the Constitution! They KNEW that they didn't know everything that might come to pass! Since the Right of Automobile Ownership was NOT surrendered, the Right remains in the hands of the PEOPLE!

HOWEVER... there is this serious issue... amongst the various States...

Some States embrace, and base their own Constitutions on, the US Constitution and the Amendments... some don't. Some States try to withhold and retain as many Rights as they can over their populace. This is NOT what the Forefathers envisioned nor what they intended.

And yet, the Country is made up of those States that agreed to be part of that Country. And the Country accepted them... each with their particular State Rules, Laws, Statues,... whatever you want to call 'em.

However, history has shown that the Supreme Court tends to rule in favor of the Constitution and the Amendments as being the Rule of the Land. And I guess, if a State agreed to be part of the Country, it also agreed to be subject to the Rule of the Land.

But in any case, the Right to own an automobile IS in the Constitution... by default!

You are a PLC Programmer, aren't you? If so, then you know what "by default" means.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
Owning a car is not a right (find it in the Constitution). This is why you don't get your Miranda rights read to you after a speeding ticket. This is why the state doesn't presume innocence until proven guilty on other traffic-only offenses.

You are not read Miranda Rights when you get a ticket because the police are not conducting a custodial interrogation. If you are not under arrest, the police don’t have to read you the Miranda Rights. Now if you get a ticket and the police place you under arrest, then they do have to read you the Miranda Rights.

When you get a ticket you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. A ticket gives you options, one being plead guilty and pay the fine or have a bench trial or sometimes have a jury trial. If you elect to have a trial then the State has to prove you guilty.

As far as your general point, I agree, people need to stop complaining about gas prices, there are plenty of ways to overcome or deal with them. Coming up with hair-brain ideas on how to manipulate the market isn’t one of them.

Let’s not forget that the gas companies are for-profit corporations, as Jimmie noted, corporations that you can own stock in. Having the Government (read as - Senators saying that the gas companies are making too much profit) look into the gas companies is ridicules. Unless the gas companies are price fixing, the Government should stay out of it. The Government wastes enough of our tax money as it is. Maybe that’s what we should be complaining about, instead of the Government charging us so much tax on gas, maybe they should manage the tax revenue better and then they could charge less tax on gas.

Gas might be a bit high, but you can get it when you want it and as much of it as you want, unlike the gas crisis of the 1970’s. Maybe we should be thankful that the gas companies are able to supply us with all the gas we want to fill our gas guzzling vehicles at a price that is cheaper than what Europeans pay (of course Europeans pay more tax but it’s still cheaper). We must look like a bunch of spoiled brats to the Europeans.

Me, I could buy a fuel efficient vehicle, but I won’t. I like to feel the power of my 15mpg Dodge HEMI when I put the gas pedal to the floor.

I say "FILL'ER-UP".