OT - Buy only what you need

It is a shame that the American passenger train system is not better developed. Amtrak is the pits when compared the rail system of Europe.

Distance learning is starting to take hold. At some point, maybe the same will take place in the workforce. Granted there are plenty jobs that require the presence of the worker.

Another thing that is hurting the US right now is the number of households with two salaries. Don't misunderstand, I don't believe that every woman should stay at home, and run the household. However, there are certain advantages to at least one parent being at home during the preschool years. We as Americans have given up on this. Multi-generational households too, are in short supply in the US. A good friend from Austria grew up in a 300 year old house, with four generations under the same roof. You won't see that here. Think of the savings and positive environment for children in this situation. Even if both Mom and Dad do work, the Grandparents/Great grandparents probably would not. These are true cultural issues that Americans could change.

My parents retired early, and then moved onboard a boat.

Andrew,

I think for the most part we both feel the same way it’s our responsibility as the human race to make this a better place, if your ever in the US I’d like to continue this conversation over a beer (my treat) and it’s also our duty to express our opinion when we see fit. Like we both have.

As for my "current US administration view’s" just as in any democracy the views can not be 100% correct (or always yours)we need to take the better of the two (not that either was correct), what I am saying is that just as I’m sure that you do not agree with everything that your government does or says, but you have to live it.

As for the war I support 'our' troops, but I think the war was wrong, but I agree that Saddam needed to be eliminated by whatever means necessary, it was handled the wrong way. I don’t know the right way

JesperMP,

I did not mean to offend you either, I was defending what (I) thought was a stab at US (my home) and I apologies for that if I did. I enjoy learning from you and for that I thank you.

Andy S said:
And secondly, and I can’t understand for the life of me why but you seem to be completely unaware that immigration is a major issue for many countries in the western world and has been a high profile issue in the UK for some time now. The UK, Australia, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain and no doubt Jesper’s Denmark to name a few all have immigration issues, with people in your words trying to “break down the boarders” and live there. So forgive my frustration of your comments that the rest of the world ONLY wants to live in the US and that the UK does not have immigration issues.
With this I claim ignorance and stand corrected.

No probs Mark and it looks as though we agree on quite a lot after all. I'll also take you up on that beer if I'm ever in your neck of the woods and we can put the world to rights then!

Cheers

Andrew

And cjh to answer your question - I’m afraid that this is precisely why you are paying high prices for oil – uncertainty in the market, due to the current mess that’s the Middle East. The instability in this region at present has caused volatility and therefore price fluctuations in the market. But I do agree with you that it was never intended to turn out this way. I’m sure that both of our leaders would love to have had a crystal ball and seen all of this coming.

As for the evil dictator Saddam, OK hardly an angel but you may find some points in this article interesting, I’m not saying it’s correct but it undeniably offers a different take on things...

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0422-20.htm

Your logic is flawed. If the President was/is the evil, oil-greedy, dicator that he is made out to be, would we not simply take the oil from Iraq? But yet we pour money into that country. I see no greedy motivation in all of this.
The article in your link is less than interesting to me. He purports myths and opinions as facts that defy documented evidence otherwise.
Read the 911 commission report and you will find a lot of flaws in the writer's article.

I'm not a fan of war. I abhor it. But it was inevitable. The question was only, "Do we wait until we are attacked? (in a much more horrific and costly way than Sept. 11) Or do we defend ourselves first?"
I agree that only time will answer this question.

geniusintraining said:
JesperMP,

I did not mean to offend you either, I was defending what (I) thought was a stab at US (my home) and I apologies for that if I did. I enjoy learning from you and for that I thank you.
Thanks for that remark. I definitely have no intention to criticise the US in general. In most aspects, we are inline with the US. But not on this issue though.

Cheers.

This has been a fantastic thread!

Our local religious expert (Stephen) starts it all off with The Parable Of The Eggs, and within a week we've got 4 pages of flame, counter-flame, apology, and counter-apology covering fuel use, energy production & consumption, housing costs, immigration, war, famine, pestilence (no, I just made these last two up) ...

Any minute now we'll get the "I need a diagram for a toggle switch" post.

Ken

Ken M said:
This has been a fantastic thread!

Our local religious expert (Stephen) starts it all off with The Parable Of The Eggs, and within a week we've got 4 pages of flame, counter-flame, apology, and counter-apology covering fuel use, energy production & consumption, housing costs, immigration, war, famine, pestilence (no, I just made these last two up) ...

Any minute now we'll get the "I need a diagram for a toggle switch" post.

Ken

And don’t forget those spying traffic light cameras.(program please)

Ken I like the recap....

Mark, I could not view the flick (fire wall), but on the web site I did not see anything about the cost, when/ever it goes into production, it still needs to be affordable, in southern cal they have one that get 300+ miles per gal., but it cost 80grand, it's still cheaper to pay 5 dollars a gallon

On a lighter note..
A man takes a balloon ride at a local country fair. A fierce wind suddenly kicks up, causing the balloon to violently leave the fair and carry its occupant out into the countryside. The man has no idea where he is, so he goes down to five meters above ground and asks a passing wanderer: "Excuse me, sir, can you tell me where I am?"
Eyeing the man in the balloon the passer-by says: "You are in a downed red balloon, five meters above ground."

The balloon's unhappy resident replied, "You must be an economist!"

"How could you possible know that?" asked the passer-by.

"Because your answer is technically correct but absolutely useless, and the fact is I am still lost".

"Then you must be in management", said the passer-by.

"That's right! How did you know?"

"You have such a good view from where you are, and yet you don't know where you are and you don't know where you are going. The fact is you are in the exact same position you were in before we met, but now your problem is somehow my fault!"

Not a dang PLC question in the last few days...

I have to reply to this one...

This whole story takes place in America, the land of opportunity. The solution to this expensive gasoline problem is quite simple:

1) Open a stock market account. It doesn't matter with whom. E*Trade, AmeriTrade, Scott, Merrill Lynch, Charles Schwab, ad nauseum.

2) Find profitible companies. Hmmmmmm, maybe a company like Exxon Mobil, perhaps.

3) Take every bit of spare cash you have and buy as much of their stock as you can get.

4) Use your dividends and/or profits from selling your stock after its price goes up to buy gasoline.

5) Stop complaining about capitalism in America, because in this instance, you CAN get a piece of the pie.

Owning a car is not a right (find it in the Constitution). This is why you don't get your Miranda rights read to you after a speeding ticket. This is why the state doesn't presume innocence until proven guilty on other traffic-only offenses.

Because we put ourselves into the position of living 50 miles from work, driving a big SUV, driving our kids all over the place for soccer games, parties, and other events, maybe we should have seen our dependence on oil coming and made lifestyle adjustments accordingly.

I live five miles from work. I drive a car that gets 30+ miles per gallon. I run several errands at a time when I drive around town. I fill up every two to three weeks. So what if gas is about $3 per gallon?

I haven't read a sympathetic reply from any of our European forum members, or anyone from around the world for that matter.