OT: Carbon Monoxide Meter

sie625

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with carbon monoxide meters. Just the handheld type offerings from Fluke, Snifit and the like. It will be used to determine if continuous monitoring is needed anywhere.

Any recommendations would be appreicated.

gas meters

We have used Idustrial Scientific multi-gas meters for monitoring Methane, CO2, CO, Hydrogen Sulfide, O2 etc. These work well and have alarms, peak readings, data logging etc. They are also approved for hazardous location use which is a must for where we use them. Idustrial Scientific is coming out with small single gas monitors that are portable, light and cheap (about $100). We got use of some demo units about 6 months ago but I am not sure if they are on the market, I think so but am not sure.

We also have contnuous monitoring requirements for which we use Draeger units. Some things to be aware of... the IR units from Draeger are good but you can get bad readings if you deploy them near VFDs. Draeger has other units that are not IR and these do not have the same problems with VFDs. Also there are cross-sensitivity issues that you should look into... I don't remember them all with CO but accetlyne causes problems with CO2 and I think the hydrogen sulfide can cause problems as well. The gas meter manufacturer should be able to provide you with all the necessary info though. They sometimes have filters that help reduce cross-sensitivity and protect the actual sensor portion of the unit.

One more thing, gas meters generally do not work well when pressurized. Not sure if this applies to you or not but check into it if you have to work with these under pressure.

Hope this helps...

There are many makers of this equipment. Off the top of my head the big names are Mine Safety Appliance, Bacharach, Draeger at least they are the ones I first think of. These have a higher up front cost lwer operate cost including calibration gas. They have gotten a lot better for portability and reliablility.

Als do not forget direct reading colorometric indicating tubes. Great for screening, low up front cost (250 or so) but tubes are single use only and have a shelf life.

Go see you local safety supply outfit. Grainger may be a good option - at least here in Seattle (but here they bought out Rice Safety so they may have a heavier emphasis here and definitely have the old Rice Safety guys)

Dan Bentler