OT: control engineer responsibilities

mike3475

found one control engineer job, its job requirement:

"control engineer responsibilities:
Responsible for planning and supporting all phases of capital projects including concept development, estimating, basic engineering, detailed engineering and scopes, specifications, design, procurement, and construction and start up of modified production facilities."

need help to understand the words :
"concept development", estimating", "basic engineering", "detailed engineering", "scopes", specifications", "start up of modified production facilities".

Appreciated your help.
Thanks!

Last edited:
What is your current job or recent experience in controls?

After my thirty years in controls with positions in plant maintenance, integration, consulting engineering, programming, etc., etc., all of those terms are understood and typical of a controls engineering position. It might help us to draw parallels to your experiences.

For example, if one works for an integrator, an incoming project has a scope and specifications (both documented, hopefully) from which to build the project. Someone has to define that scope and write those specifications, and looking at them would give you an idea of what those responsibilities are.

concept development:

Could include CAD (computer aided design), 2D, 3D drawings, simulations, prototype at small scale (3D print)

estimating:

Estimate of costs, timelines, GANTT, critical path, parties involved

basic engineering:
concept sketches, whiteboard brain storming

detailed engineering:
drawings to the mm (inch/thou), revision control, approval

scopes:
scope of works, what party is responible for which activities of the project

specifications:
URS, user requirement specifications, what the plant needs
FDS, functional design specifications, how the proposed project which technically achieve what the plant requires

start up of modified production facilities:
After the automation has been implemented, controlled startup of the production line etc after work has been done, SAT, Site Acceptance Test, Risk Assessment sign off, cycle times meet URS, training of operators and maintenance

found one control engineer job, its job requirement:

need help to understand the words :
"concept development", estimating", "basic engineering", "detailed engineering", "scopes", specifications", "start up of modified production facilities".

Thanks!

With all due respect, if you’re having trouble with knowing what these basic terms mean regarding controls or automation engineering then I question your ability do the job.

I really wish you guys would say automation instead of control. I think of control engineers are ones that do closed loop controls. I know some of you do closed loop controls but few are would I would call a control engineer.

I worked for system integrators for over 35 years and my job description was always “controls engineer.”

I did a little programming but mainly did design, estimating, and startup work.

The OP forgot to add one important job, the insertion of a broom handle so you can sweep up the mess as you go along, only skill is to ensure the broom handle has not been sharpened to a point (many will get this).

Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

I really wish you guys would say automation instead of control.

And I really wish people would stop calling low inertial permanent magnet motors servomotors. I suspect I won't get my wish either.

Keith

I really wish you guys would say automation instead of control. I think of control engineers are ones that do closed loop controls. I know some of you do closed loop controls but few are would I would call a control engineer.
Well nowadays the term "automation engineer" is used to describe much of the work in the computer science world, so using the term "controls" at least lets the audience know we're talking about physical things.

Stolen from elsewhere:

The many "Hats" of a Controls Engineer:
- Electrician (re-wire want was wrong)
- Instrumentation Tech (scale those instruments 4-20ma)
- Electrical Designer (don't zap anyone)
- Commissioning Engineer (80% travel, 80 hour weeks)
- Network Engineer (Ethernet Design, Managed Networks, Network Security, Firewalls, VPN)
- System Admin (User security, access rights, audit logs)
- Graphic Designer (HA!)
- IT Engineer (Dealing with Windows, Servers, Virtualization)
- Project Manager (scheduling, $$$)
- Component Purchaser (what? I need to get quotes and argue with purchasing??)
- Computer Programmer (get my script on...VBA, python)
- PLC Programmer (Oh, finally! Something I thought I would be doing!)
- SCADA Developer (Ugh, FTViewSE? WW?...Why did I get into this job??)
- Database Admin (SQL, Access #eek)
- Excel Guru (Knows how to use Excel to make life a little easier)
- Process Engineer (Because I know it's not a programming issue)
- Hydraulic Tech (Because I know it's not a programming issue)
- Salesman (Because I don't trust that guy)
- Customer Service Rep (Gotta make sure not to upset the customer)
- Mathematician! (Cuz, numbers)
- The guy/gal that "makes it work" (doesn't work until the black-box-o-magic says so).

Stolen from elsewhere:

The many "Hats" of a Controls Engineer:
- Electrician (re-wire want was wrong)
- Instrumentation Tech (scale those instruments 4-20ma)
- Electrical Designer (don't zap anyone)
- Commissioning Engineer (80% travel, 80 hour weeks)
- Network Engineer (Ethernet Design, Managed Networks, Network Security, Firewalls, VPN)
- System Admin (User security, access rights, audit logs)
- Graphic Designer (HA!)
- IT Engineer (Dealing with Windows, Servers, Virtualization)
- Project Manager (scheduling, $$$)
- Component Purchaser (what? I need to get quotes and argue with purchasing??)
- Computer Programmer (get my script on...VBA, python)
- PLC Programmer (Oh, finally! Something I thought I would be doing!)
- SCADA Developer (Ugh, FTViewSE? WW?...Why did I get into this job??)
- Database Admin (SQL, Access #eek)
- Excel Guru (Knows how to use Excel to make life a little easier)
- Process Engineer (Because I know it's not a programming issue)
- Hydraulic Tech (Because I know it's not a programming issue)
- Salesman (Because I don't trust that guy)
- Customer Service Rep (Gotta make sure not to upset the customer)
- Mathematician! (Cuz, numbers)
- The guy/gal that "makes it work" (doesn't work until the black-box-o-magic says so).

This is so true