Job Interview as a junior Control Engineer

I know there are tons of control engineer, PLC programmer

Yes lots but not lots of good ones

Most everyone made good points BUT... dont sell yourself short, there are not many good ones I have done over 100+ interviews and in the first 5 min (or less) knew if I was wasting my time and 95% of the time I was

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck well odds are its a duck but its not someone that has talent and wants to learn, I looked for someone that could teach me a few things and wanted to learn, if they thought they new everything then it was a waste of my and their time, I would walk them to my boss and just say we are done

Attitude is the most important thing, speak loud and clear, have manners and show them that you want to be there, if you dont know something say... I dont know but I can find out or figure it out

Remember you are 'the man' (or woman) but you are there to help them make everything better and help

Best of luck!! 🍻

As I don't have much experience in this industry or I would say I may know a little bit more than recent graduate. What should I expect in an interview and How can I convince my message that I am so much passionate about this industry but don't have much experience in it and looking for a chance.

Be prepared to talk about one or more examples in your life where you were professionally challenged on topics that were not part of your regular skill set nor experience at the time.

When checking the background of the company where you have a job interview, look for matches between your history/skills other than PLC programming that may help you and that could add value for the company.

I did not come from a previous technical background, had no formal technical training, yet landed a job that I still enjoy every day thanks to having spent some time working as a mechanic in a garage well over 20 years before, as well as speaking foreign languages. These two details from my personal history were not directly related to the job that I applied for, nor was there mention of it in the vacancy description. Yet it turned out that these two "hidden treasures" from my past opened doors for me that would otherwise have remained shut.

Be prepared to talk about one or more examples in your life where you were professionally challenged on topics that were not part of your regular skill set nor experience at the time.

When checking the background of the company where you have a job interview, look for matches between your history/skills other than PLC programming that may help you and that could add value for the company.

I did not come from a previous technical background, had no formal technical training, yet landed a job that I still enjoy every day thanks to having spent some time working as a mechanic in a garage well over 20 years before, as well as speaking foreign languages. These two details from my personal history were not directly related to the job that I applied for, nor was there mention of it in the vacancy description. Yet it turned out that these two "hidden treasures" from my past opened doors for me that would otherwise have remained shut.
Thank you for the advice! I will keep these points in mind

There are other important issues with interviews besides your skill set.
The interviewer has to like you - he will be working with you in the future.

Not a lot you can do about that apart from be yourself.
Easier said than done if you are nervous and desperate for the job. (it will show)

You have to convince yourself that the job is not that important and there will be plenty more...which there probably will be.
Going in with false bravado and a cheesy grin and a handshake that could crack walnuts is not the way.

As others have said; be honest, the second you lie or fabricate or exaggerate you are doomed.
The interviewer will not mind if you say something like 'NO I have no experience with that but I am very willing to learn and it is one of the reasons I came for the job'

Nobody has done everything - not even the interviewer but keenness goes a long way

Good luck

Good Morning Everyone,
I would like to thank you every single person who gave me advice on my interview!

I got a job offer! yay!! I am going to start at the end of this month as a junior control engineer for an automotive company :)

Thank you again,

Congrats, well done. I will PM you my bank details for the usual 3rd party consulting & commission fees
;)

Would you care to share any particulars of the interview and how you did?

Congrats, well done. I will PM you my bank details for the usual 3rd party consulting & commission fees
;)

Tonie, hahah I got your bank detail! sending you bonus cheque ;)

It's a good question and I will try my best to answer it.

I get the basic knowledge of PLC from online resources, Youtube channel "PLCprofessor" and many other resources and then I got an opportunity to go 5 days PLC training course on behalf of my company and then they gave me conveyor project to do it, before my company was outsourcing PLC projects but this project gave me a little bit of hands-on experience. I am still working on it and I was lucky because I was the only guy in my company who was programming this PLC and no one was here to help me so I research a lot about everything and talk with great people on this forum and they give me good direction.

So I decided to start looking for junior PLC position because I feel like I need mentor who can guide me and this will help me to fast my learning process, for example, any problem at my current workplace may take 7 days to figure out but mentor or sr PLC guy can help me to understand in one day and It can save my time too and this was the reason I start looking for junior position and I can work around with PLC and robotics programmer.

I started applying for job and no one wants to hire me because I wasn't recent graduate and no much experience. Honestly, I applied for more than 50 jobs but no interview call.

I start using LinkedIn and connect with HR people, PLC programmers of companies I wanted to work for.

Now, instead of applying for jobs online, I start sending my resume to HR people on their personal email address because of LinkedIn. Now I was getting an interview and at least get a chance to explain myself and describe my knowledge passion which I gained as a CNC programmer and PLC programmer.

Eventually, I got hired ;)

Long story short, Connection is important and LinkedIn is the best source to find people and approach them personally. trust me, it makes a huge difference.

Last but not least, It is very important to passionate about what we do and I love programming and sometimes, I forget to take a lunch break because I am so much into reading PLC articles or thinking about any system and write a code for practice.

I hope this will help many people! Please Ask me if any question!

Thank you,

Thank you for sharing, it sounds to me like you've got the right attitude and drive to succeed on the dark side.

Got the cheque, off to the bahama's now :cool: