OT: Fluid Dynamics for Idiots

A friend of mine is retired from the pump business. His experience included de-watering pumps in mines; 600 V, 3 phase, Grindex pumps.
Anyway, I sent him a link to this post a while ago - he found it amusing, since he is retired. But he did comment: What were they trying to do from the start ?

I feel the same way about most threads

The OP rarely states what he is trying to do so we get the big picture.
Instead we are asked to solve with the OP thinks is his problem which is too often not the real problem at all.

Sometimes it is best to sit back and wait for the details to become clear.

What really gets me is how people will go through great lengths to save a penny on a one of a kind machine and waste lots of their time and forum time to save that penny.

The best final outcome I can give right now is that the pump is now plumbed in and running through the orifices. The pressure gauge at the pump output still reads (bouncing) 6-9psi. The bypass valves are fully closed.

I don't know for sure that they kept the 1" hole size (no one to ask today). I predict that the flow value given to me for the pump was inaccurate, and that it is actually much lower than 275gpm. I can't see into the tanks to get a visual on the flow rates. When I get to talk to the tech, I will try to find out if they changed the orifice size.

Paul