OT : How to Write a Employee Termination Report

Errrm...presumably you're confident he doesn't frequent this forum?! :whistle: May make things (even more) awkward...just saying!

Rob

The best advice I can give you is just fire the guy with no documented reason. Just simply state his services are no longer needed.

Kid,

the advice from Donnedved1960, gas, Clay B hit the nail spot on.

Your our boss is putting you in a position to be fired as well.

unless you have performance evaluations and manager / employee meetings documented, all you can do is give an opinion.

you cannot document his work ethics after the fact!
all you can do is cite what you have observed, nothing more!
you then must get with HR and discuss with them what you were asked to do. DO not hand the recommendation to your boss, if you do, it can turn into politics if the fired employee fights it in court and your name is on the termination papers, not your bosses or HR's.

regards,
james

I am NOT a personnel professional (HR to you kids), so this is a non-professional opinion. And my company was too small for HR - I did it all myself.

First of all, the time to start documenting performance, poor or excellent, is before things get to extremes. If I had a sense that someone wan't working out, I stuck a dated informal note in his personnel file for each incident of any consequence. Annual reviews are wonderful, but actually I never had a leaker last long enough to get to a six month review!

When I concluded that an employee wan't worth what I was paying them, it was frankly by gut feel, not my notes. But I felt it was important to document the reasons.

On the day of separation I'd call them in, tell them that my company wasn't a good match for their talents, and that they were no longer my employee. I had the file with the notes at hand, but not one employee ever asked to see them, and only one even asked for a reason for dismissal. (She was psycho anyway - interviewed well but only lasted a week). An employee knows when they aren't doing a good job, really.

In my opinion, the keys to dismissing an employee are:
Be prepared
Be professional
Be FIRM
Be courteous
Be BRIEF

Last edited:
I agree with everything so far. Really, HR should ask you questions that you reply Yes or no to. As has been said, you could put yourself in a very akward situation with the employee concerned. I also agree that you know yourself when things are not working out yourself - unless you are completely oblivious!!

Just to clarify I do have notes on him that I have kept since day one in my department because Iknew this whole situation was bad news.

This is just a report to my boss of facts jobs he was assigned and level of completion and If there were any callbacks on the work which there were about half the time.

The boss and HR will handle all the termination. My report is just facts on his daily work and I have detailed notes on that. They are facts only the do not lead to a good or bad conclusion as far as my notes are written.

There is no danger of the person seeing this post and even if they did it could not be traced back to me. Trust me on that.

Issues of performance should be handled by the employees supervisor. If you are not his supervisor then its not your responsibility. The supervisor cannot delegate responsibility and if he is trying to do that then he is a very poor supervisor. I would not like to work under a supervisor who could not take the time to tell me if I am performing poorly or well. Annual appraisals are official company procedures to discuss with each employee his / her performance but performance should be discussed / monitored throughout the year at regular intervals by the supervisor.

Being a night shift lead for my previous employer I would start it off that the report is being made in request by mr big. with a breif outline of the employees position and expected duties time in the position and all the standard stuff. Just keep it simple and to the point no opnions. If the employee is either on the phone or taking to long on repairs the employee should have a verbal and written warning also signed by the boss and employee.
Part of my job was to assign duties by work order. In it I would include what was to be done, and the expected start and finish times. after the job was completed the tech would add his finish time and comments then complete his end. Then I would review the work orders and if any problems add my comments ( problem, delayed start or finish reasons...) and close it out. If rework had to be done I opened that work order and add more comments (reason for rework) then closed out for good.

In our system I was able to graph the amount of work orders, reworks. And print all the work orders# and comments for a tech. It was several pages long but it was documented facts most in there own words and logon.

In several years I was only asked to do this twice and both times the employee was demoted and quit after a few days.

My point is is if you only deal with documented facts you should have no problems.

Hope This Helps
Tom

Unless you have been trained in supervisory management - do not touch this.
It is a huge can of worms.
In performance management - you need to find out the WHY's
As this is often personal - the phone calls etc.
Any of us who program need a clear mind.
If you have huge personal issues it is almost impossible.

I would tell your boss you are not qualified in Psychology.

At the end of the day - your work mate has some real issues.
Could be any number of reasons - formal training will help you address this correctly.
Without knowing, he may need serious help.

I wouldn't worry about him reading this. You haven't mentioned him by name and, from what I can see, you haven't mentioned the name of the company??

I would certainly take the advice of trying to avoid this. As Ian has said, this guy might have the world on his shoulders now and might just be managing to keep it all together enough to put in a 30% performance at work.

Perhaps a 'coaching conversation' would be a good way to initiate something more formal. Outlining what is expected from him and areas that he could work on improving. Then you (or your boss ideally) has given him a forum in order to explain his behaviour (i.e. he's on the phone a lot because his folks are in hospital or his kids getting into trouble at school etc etc).

You then have a good foundation to give him the heave-ho if he doesn't perform AND hasn't got a satisfactory reason for his performance.

If he has the world on his shoulders thenhe has had for the last 3 years. Same behavior since he has been here on other shifts and other departments. They company has tried to work with him to improve far and beyond what a company normally would and should.

They have just had enough. I can't say that I blame them because the workforce feels the same way.

If he has the world on his shoulders thenhe has had for the last 3 years. Same behavior since he has been here on other shifts and other departments. They company has tried to work with him to improve far and beyond what a company normally would and should.

They have just had enough. I can't say that I blame them because the workforce feels the same way.
Time to let him go -
But again it is not your responsibility