OT - iPad (or Android) with AB software

I have seen a folding table w/built in chair at Walmart or Target, thought about getting it at one point. Think it was around $20. Would be one of those "use and throw away" deals when the project is done.

Done the same on a few travel jobs

For the single tech
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-5-Piece-Card-Table-and-Chair-Set-Black/16481121

For 2 techs
http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Foot-Folding-Table/7679241

And for around may plant I ues this and keep all the cables and basic hand tools in this http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...-magnum-cart-watmg4612bu-p/watmg4612bu-01.htm with a battery UPS in the cabinet part and a 50 foot cord reel similar to this http://www.extensioncordreelreviews.com/retractable-extension-cord-reels/ mounted to the side

Write Maintenance on it with a sharpie and give it to the maintenance guy for their use and maybe nexttime it will be there if you ever need to go back for service work.

I have used the new iPad for the last 2 startups. There are several RDP applications available, we're using iTap RDP. I leave my laptop running all Rockwell and Wonderware software in a safe location attached to the same wifi that my iPad can access. With the iPad in hand, I can walk around all the equipment and get up close to it. I can stroke valves and watch them open and close. I can spin motors and check rotation all by myself. That is your justification. A second tech is less likely to be required. A bonus is that it impresses the hell out of your customers.

One thing that is cool is that you can zoom way in on an iPad. I crawled under a tank to check and zero a level sensor. I had RSLogix displaying the analog input and zoomed in so the numbers filled the screen, 5" tall numbers! I then propped the iPad up on the floor 6 feet away and could easily watch the live readings.

Checking out instrumentation is faster and easier also. I can go directly to a flow transmitter with my iPad, place the xmtr in simulation mode, generate different 4-20mA outputs and read the PLC input directly on the iPad.

A lot of these things can be done with a laptop on the floor but it's just not as convenient. The iPad is compact and light. There is a huge battery advantage with the iPad also. Where you're lucky to get 2-3 hours out of a laptop battery, the iPad can go a full 10-12 hour shift with moderate use.

The negatives:
1. Wifi will not always be available and the plant may not allow you on it. Even if you bring your own, they may not let you attach it to their network or even power it up in their plant.

2. Program editing is not easy to do on the iPad. You are RDPing to your laptop with an iPad that only has a touchscreen for input. It is difficult to scroll and type. It really works as an HMI for your graphics and a viewer for RSLogix. You can do edits but it is not easy and is very time consuming. Go back to the laptop to do PLC edits.

3. The iPad doesn't have the horsepower to run your programs on its own. You still need your laptop but at least you can leave it setup in a safe and comfortable location.

The iPad is another tool to have in the box. It also provides entertainment on the plane and in the hotel.

WOW, I LOVE IT already haha, i bet it would impress everyone. thank you for the idea. i think i just figured out how to get a promotion... lmao haha

Wifi will not always be available and the plant may not allow you on it. Even if you bring your own, they may not let you attach it to their network or even power it up in their plant.
How about connecting via an ad-hoc network directly to the laptop's wifi?

Alas, I have resisted joining the Apple cult, but I may have to get me one of these damned iPads after all... 🙃

🍻

-Eric

How about connecting via an ad-hoc network directly to the laptop's wifi?
Yes, that should work assuming the laptop is within range. Our customers typically install main PLC cabinets in MCC rooms on 2nd floor and Ethernet remote I/O down on the floor. We've utilized this cat 5 which is isolated from the plant network and installed a small switch at the PLC end to share connection with laptop and on the floor connect a wifi access point/switch for iPad wifi access.

Alas, I have resisted joining the Apple cult, but I may have to get me one of these damned iPads after all... 🙃

🍻

-Eric

This was my first dive into the apple cult. I was quite resistant also. Now, I love it. The thing about apple stuff is that it just works. No lockups, no rebooting.

I'm typing this now on the iPad.

I got sucked in to an iPhone and gratefully put a band saw through it when I bought a Nokia N8. No more Apple - end of line!!!
Have a look at the new Micrsoft Windows tablet that I mentioned previously - it really does look pretty good.

Is that the same tablet that locked up during the microsoft presentation last week?🙃
So? It is still very new and not released yet but shows great promise - that is all I said.
If I was buying a tablet right now it would be the Samsung.
Got to be better than Apple for heavens sake! Have never liked Apple products to be honest.
Apple relesed the iPhone when it was only half finished - I got sick of re-booting the stupid thing - and then it kept dropping ot until about 3 generations of software later - and then I could not tether it - at least they have woken up in Oz and you can tether the stupid things now. I could go on about the stupid iPhone but will not - good as an iPod and to make an occassional phone call.
Still not convinced on tablets anyway and will probably never buy one.
I do like my Dell XPS with the monster 17" screen at high resolution though.
Need a backpak to carry it - not light but so much ladder on the screen at one time it is worth it.

Is that the same tablet that locked up during the microsoft presentation last week?🙃
Locked up? No, that's just another one of the wonderful new Windows 8 ergonomic features. It forces you to take a break every 30-60 minutes.

Note: This feature cannot be disabled. It is hard-coded into the OS.

🍻

-Eric

Our HMI software has testing functions for manually activating drives and actuators. No need to run the programming software, just the HMI.
I occasionally use a laptop in the plant, but have been contemplating using tablet in stead. I could use VNC for Android or a webserver solution.
If I do take the plunge, I will probaby get a "cost effective" android tablet. Not an expensive one.

Microsofts Surface tablet looks interesting too. The version with Windows 8 Pro and Intel CPU could mean you have the full programming software available.

edit: Some of our service personnel already use iPads. Partly for quick access to support via email. And partly to have all diagrams, and manuals, and drawings readily available everwhere they go.

Last edited:
going back to the ipad posts, is it possible to create an Ad-Hoc on the laptop and remote desktop from your iphone/ipad on that if there isn't a WI-FI network available?

There were some IOS versions where it would not work but I am pretty sure ipad 3 does. On ipad 2 it depended on IOS version but mine has always ben jailbroken and it does work then so I don't know right off which versions it did work in.