OT-New Hobby Project- PLC

craig_avanzar

Well hello to all BBQ Lovers,
I am on a hunt for a place to look for an inepensive, programmer friendly, Free software?, plc with maybe 6-8 descreet outputs and that many inputs for PB. No analog required.
I am on a BBQ competition cooking team and part of the fun is theme of your pit as well as design. Believe me this is not for profit. Anyone thats ever done this knows this is an expesive hobby that needs sponsors to keep from going broke/divorced. I'll attach pic's so that you will better understand. Just need to write a simple program so the kids can see wheels turn and lights and whistles blow. The theme for our team is "The Little Engine That Que'd". Think of a Thomas the Train type image only for a working cooker. I want to write a simple program that has timers for some lights, probably relay outputs to turn on a starter/contactor for a small motor(120v, treadmill motor for gear reduction and speed pot included) to turn the engine wheels and any other good ideas that we hear. It's all trailer mounted and runs off of a small generator.
Any and all information is appreciated and pictures will be forth coming as soon as I can figure out how to attach them. Too big. I'll figure it out and post soon.
Thanks to all of the back yard BBQue'rs and dreamers.:geek:

The Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1000 with 10-point I/O might work for you. The software is a free download. I understand that you can order this PLC online for about $195. A typical catalog number for the 10-point I/O is 1761-L10BWA.

http://shop.rockwellautomation.com/

Last edited:
Thanks Lancie. I have tried 5 times all different ways and I cannot seem to complete the search. Its late. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. I hope you are feeling better.

Craig,

You probably will have to register and get a user name and password to be able to shop (or get prices) at the Rockwell Automation Webstore.

Here is a link to the Micrologix 1000 Online catalog.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239746/2159993/

The free RSLogix software only works with the three Micrologix 1000's that have 10 I/O points (6 Inputs & 4 Outputs). Here is the link for the free RSLogix 10-point I/O. Enter your name to "qualify for update".

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.asp?RI=8322&ST=Web%20Release&SR=False

Last edited:
Craig,

you could also step away from PLC and turn to microprocessors, but for what programming concerns remain in the PLC world. Confused? Take a look at PLC2PIC. It's a project to use ladder programming in PIC processors, entirely based on freeware and open source software. I have it laying around, but didn't find the time yet to explore it myself. It does look promisisng for the smallest applications I have to deal with.

Kind regards,

I think you could get by with just a smart relay, you can get everything you need for around 150.00
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.44/.f?category=1297

You could download the free software, write your code,to ensure it can do what you need, and then order the relay. If your logic is more complicated than the relay can handle, your investment will have been time only.

They sell a cheaper version without the display, but I prefer the display version, you can set it up so that the timer values can be changed without using a PC, makes minor tweaks easier. You can program the relay from the display, but it is much easier with the software and a PC, plus with the software you can run the simulator and ensure your logic does what you want it to.

Ken

Last edited:
What about the Siemens Logo units. You can get starter kits that have all software a Logo unit and programming lead. The software also includes a simulator too.

HTH

jvdcande said:
Craig,

you could also step away from PLC and turn to microprocessors, but for what programming concerns remain in the PLC world. Confused? Take a look at PLC2PIC. It's a project to use ladder programming in PIC processors, entirely based on freeware and open source software. I have it laying around, but didn't find the time yet to explore it myself. It does look promisisng for the smallest applications I have to deal with.

Kind regards,

WOW!

Been toying with playing with PICs for ages; but never had time to learn the assembler! Brilliant link.

timbo_uk said:
What about the Siemens Logo units. You can get starter kits that have all software a Logo unit and programming lead. The software also includes a simulator too.

HTH
I have one for sale if anyone is interested.
6ED1 053-1FH00-0BA2 Logo PC with 12 digital in, 8 relay outputs and AS-Interface
Logosoft Comfort version 2.0 on CD, never been unwrapped
6ED1 057-1AA00-0BA0 Logo - PC cable
6ED1 050-1AA00-0BE3 Logo manual Edition 05/2000 unopened.

I got all these as part of a job lot. They were bought for a project and never used. Never been unwrapped or powered up, and it's unlikely I will do anything with them now, so make me an offer.

Digesting all of the info

To all,
Thanks for the valuable info. The relay controller looks really good so far and the software is doable with my limited talents.
Still working on getting those pictures posted.
Thanks again.

craig_avanzar said:
I DON'T KNOW! It said it uploaded the pictures. ARGH!!!!! I'll keep trying.@#%$^%#$^%^$

Lol, (been there, done that) if they upload successfully it will give you some code to copy and paste into your thread; if they were too big, or had a space in the filename it says uploaded, but does not give you the text.

HTH

Tim