OT- Rat bitting and eating the wires

SLC_Integrator said:
Still its all edible, dont worry about it!
(y)

Excerpt from the Federal Register 51, 1986.

Table 1-3: Maximum Defect Action Levels for Selected Food Products Food Product Maximum Defect Action Level

Allspice (ground)

* Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 10 grams

* Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 10 grams

Broccoli (frozen)

* Average of 60 or more aphids, thrips, and/or mites per 100 grams

Cocoa beans

* More than 4% of beans by count are moldy

* More than 4% of beans by count are insect-infested or insect-damaged

* More than 6% of beans by count are insect-infested or moldy (NOTE: Level differs when both filth and mold are present)

* Average of 10 mg or more mammalian excreta per pound

Pitted olives

* Average of 1.3 percent or more by count of olives with whole pits and/or pit fragments 2 mm or longer measured in the longest dimension

Pineapple juice

* Average mold count of 15% or more

* Mold count of any 1 subsample is 40% or more

Tomatoes (canned)

* Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams

* 5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams

* 2 or more maggots per 500 grams

When my mom worked at a food processing plant when I was little, everything under the sun fell into the vats, from gloves to hair curlers to false teeth. Anyone who eats highly processed foods deserves what they get. :)

Also, I worked at an egg laying farm when I was a kid (i.e. under 18 years old). When the hens were completely used up (even dead), they were hauled off to the soup factory. Let's just say that that the Grade A chicken does not go into canned soup, the cheesy Campbells soup ads notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Stationmaster,

They don't recognize "rat "poop"

milldrone said:
* Average of 10 mg or more mammalian excreta per pound

WHEAT

Insect damage
(MPM-V15)

Average of 32 or more insect-damaged kernels per 100 grams

Rodent filth
(MPM-V15)

Average of 9 mg or more rodent excreta pellets and/or pellet fragments per kilogram

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect damage - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing infestation, Excreta - post harvest and/or processing animal contamination.
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

WHEAT FLOUR

Insect filth
(AOAC 972.32)

Average of 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams

Rodent filth
(AOAC 972.32)

Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta.

They didn't have a listing for "pasta". But they did for macaroni

MACARONI AND NOODLE PRODUCTS

Insect filth
(AOAC 969.41)

Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

Rodent filth
(AOAC 969.41)

Average of 4.5 rodent hairs or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta

Last edited:
Thank you,

I feel ever so much better now..............................

especially the part about "significance: Aesthetic"

AESTHETIC ??????

Stationmaster said:
This is a FOOD processing plant!!! The rats have gotta GO. Eaten wires is only ONE of the problems.......What about lack of cleanliness, associated parasites, spreading of disease, loss of product........I'm imagining a very BIG rat problem if you have taken the steps listed and STILL have rats. Go NUCLEAR!

As I mention there is a sanitation team that conduct Cleanliness plus quality assurance and pest control team!(y)

OZEE said:
I work for a major milling company, too. Sanitation and fumigation alone aren't going to help if you have places where they come in. You need to establish a serious rodent control program.

Im thinking of the control program to discuss to my boss and the plant managers:D

plc_padawan said:
I worked for a big food manufacturer once and the way they kept out the rodents was to set traps all around the building and inside the building. They had an outside contractor come every so often and empty the traps. I don't know what they used for bait, or how many they caught, but I never seen a single rat in that place.

The traps were about the size of a shoebox and had about a 2" hole on one side.

We have a lot of traps in and out of the building and all control room, electrical room and so on!:)

Maj. Toxido said:
As I mention there is a sanitation team that conduct Cleanliness plus quality assurance and pest control team!(y)

Maybe these guys need to be evaluated.

I'm planting a garden and buying a cow.

TimothyMoulder said:
It's easy to say, "Get rid of the rodents!" but not so simple to do. In any food industry, your company produces what is essentially bait, so it's less than charitable to scold Toxido about sanitation - sounds like their already doing all they can think of, and are now trying to address the collateral damage.

How about putting some sort of repellent on the wires themselves? There are things even rats won't eat...

Thanks!

As Mr.Timothy mentioned we are doing what we can to solved this problem. Sanitation team + Pest control + traps + Fumigation + House Cleaning + Quality Assurance.

I will think about your suggestion SIR! and open it up to the management:geek: