OT- suppliers of automation for fast food (ie McDonalds etc)

Mine doesn't. I/we create better jobs with better pay for our employees and our suppliers.
The customer may reduce jobs but increase profits. We have had cases where a customer planned to build 3 machines but only built one since it worked so well. In a way we hurt ourselves in the short term. In the long term everyone that has money benefits because prices are lower.

What must be considered is than in normal times, 50% of the startup companies will fail before 5 years. That is brutal but that is the way it is. The employees that are out of work get unemployment insurance but the owner of the fail business lose their savings and get nothing.

I/we make motion controllers that automate things. It isn't too hard to automate repetitive tasks. To those that aren't high tech people, I refer them to Mike Rowe on how to get by
https://mikerowe.com/

I have a nephew that dropped out of college to become a pip fitter or boiler maker. That is a brutal job but he is doing well and has risen quickly. Hopefully he will find a management position before he is 45.

Most of the people on this forum are the lucky ones that can automate things or keep machines running. It will be difficult to replace you.

Good answer..

The first one to go is the person taking the orders, everything will be on a phone as an app.
Aren't the giant iPad thingys a thing in the states? I was pleasantly surprised at how flexible they were (though a nightmare for Covid compliance). I can also order from an app already. The interesting thing I found at McDonalds is them offering table service.

Its not like the humans make the food taste any better, 5 guys is soo much better

The fries around my neck of the woods on Five guys are the second best I ever had only surpassed by Belgian frites. The burger however is a bit lacklustre if you aren't good at combining ingredients, the build of them is very poor making them hard to eat (just yesterday they decided putting fried onion between the bun and patty was a great idea). The beef is beef though unlike McDonalds that is closer to jerky.

As for the bank or phone customer service I always go for the option of cancelling whatever I have with them. This usually puts you up a few levels of people employed to read manuals.

I think the key with automation is being realistic and guide people towards jobs they'll be able to do. All the machines doing boring work will require service and maintenance. That's something we can move humans to for example.

It is shame some of you do not have an In-N-Out Burger nearby.
But now that starts and argument between Whopper and In-N-Out people...