OT: VFD induced shaft currents. What's the solution?

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
There's a lot of people on here that use VFDs on a regular basis.

What's your take on shaft currents induced from the PWM wave of a vfds? What is your best practice?

Install a shaft grounding ring from day 1?
Run it and see if shaft currents are a problem?

It seems the issue is hard to pin point. Why one motor is affected and the next isn't?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
This is what I do. This works for me.
1.Inverter duty motor.
2. I do not use Aegis shaft grounding rings on motors smaller than 20Hp
3.1000 Volt shielded VFD motor cables.
4.Proper grounding.
5.On runs longer than 75 feet use a dV/Dt filer on the drive output.
6.Multiple motors on single VFD necessitate the use of an output reactor.

I follow these guidelines without exception. I have never had a motor failure in more than 10 years of installations.

So do you feel that using shielded motor cables helps the shaft currents problem? How does that relate?

The dv/dt filter makes very good sense.

Shielded cable is a good idea to prevent other VFD issues but does nothing for shaft currents.

DV/DT filters will reduce shaft currents and therefore motor bearing damage but will not eliminate it.

Concentric shaft grounding rings are the best solution but make sure you have the proper insulated bearings or the grounding rings are pointless.

Most major motor manufacturers offer insulated bearings and shaft grounding rings as options when ordering motors.

As far as how low of an HP to apply them well that depends on your application and how critical the motor is and how difficult it is to replace and service.

Concentric shaft grounding rings are the best solution but make sure you have the proper insulated bearings or the grounding rings are pointless.

Hi Phil,
Can you explain this a little bit more?
It seems to me that if both bearings are insulated that you would not need a grounding ring? or if a grounding ring is properly installed why do you need insulated bearings?

I'd appreciate a bit more detail. Thanks!

The key to understanding this phenomenon is to understand that there is one ultimate mechanism for the bearing damage, EDM from current flow due to a voltage difference between the stator and rotor, but there are multiple sources of that voltage difference and not all of them will exist on a certain installation / motor / drive / system setup. The 4 main sources of EDM current are;

1. Capacitive Coupling
  2. Inductive Coupling
  3. Frame voltage due to high ground resistance
  4. Externally coupled energy
Capacitive coupling is the worst, caused by the steep edges of the PWM pulses coming from the VFD transistor firing. The rapid change in voltage of the stator windings makes it act like the anode of a capacitor, with the rotor being the cathode and the air gap as the dielectric. The voltage is low, but persistent and will build up until it exceeds the dielectric of the bearing grease to where it flows through the bearings. So the power filter (dV/dt or common mode choke) works for this because it slows down the rise time of the PWM pulses, decreasing the capacitive effect.

Inductive coupling is a result of the capacitive coupling and the fact that in a PWM scheme, there is never a total zero-sum of the 3 phase voltages because of the timing of the pulses in each phase. So in some motor designs there will be an induced voltage from one end of the motor shaft to the other, exacerbating the effects of the capacitive voltage bearing damage. People found success in dealing with this by using one insulated bearing on the drive end of the motor, but the other one eventually fails anyway. Two insulated bearings can work, but the voltage will still be there, so it might end up just moving down the motor shaft to a bearing on the driven machine and do damage there.

Frame voltage issues are the result of larger motors having inadequate frame grounding connections, based on safety rules only. The larger the motor, the more critical the need for low ground resistance and that usually means larger Equipment Grounding Conductors than are called for by Codes, but when people only do the minimum, they can end up making bearing damage issues worse.

Externally coupled energy can come in the form of static electricity caused by materials the motor is being used on, like conveyor belts, some types of pumped fluids, high speed fans, welding taking place on a machine while in use and, addressing the issue of shielded cables, the Common Mode Noise that can come in on the conductors going to the motor. That's where using shielded cable can help.

The shaft grounding is really the best solution because although it doesn't deal with the SOURCE of the problems, it deals directly with the EFFECTS by giving any voltage produced between the stator and rotor a safe non-destructive path to ground. The problem is, they wear out and have to be replaced periodically. For that reason, I have been favoring having the motors built with a shaft grounding SEAL, because in those cases, the grounding aspect of it is designed to wear out at the same rate as the seal itself, so whenever you change the seal on a PM schedule, you end up replacing the shaft grounding ring at the same time.

The power line filters (dV/dt filters and Common Mode chokes) are also a good solution because they deal with the #1 cause, the capacitive coupling effects of the PWM pulses, plus they will lower the CM noise at the same time. But if there are other issues, such as an external source or a bad motor EGC that are left unattended, then you may have wasted your money. So the BEST is a filter PLUS a grounding ring in my opinion.

Our motor repair division sees it all the time in motors that come in with bad bearings. Fluting on the bearings or blackened grease.

Situation at hand right now for us: We have gotten called into a customer to do some scoping to detect this issue. We were not involved with the sale of the original equipment or installation. But they had 7 out of 40 gearmotors fail with bearing problems in the first 6 months of operation. Manufacturer inspects them and finds fluting on the bearings.

the installer/equipment OEM is trying to figure out what to do now. We talked about output filtering but at this point they aren't willing to do that investment. Hoping for a simpler retrofit. Shaft grounding rings are tough to install on gearmotors usually too.

These gearmotors run conveyors. They are mounted to the conveyor, but the conveyor belt is driven by a plastic chain from the motor shaft.

I have not been onsite yet, but I am suspicious that they have pretty long lead length to the motors.

Just an example of where it sticks its ugly head up.

oh, and by the way, jraef, thanks for your post! I always enjoy your explanations.

The good news: I've done hundreds of VFD applications over the years, and I have only had one bearing fluting incident.

The bad news: when it happens the failure is catastrophic.

Jraef's outstanding explanation identifies two important measures to minimize fluting beyond grounding brushes. 1) Ground the system well and properly, including the motor. 2) Keep the length of power wiring between the motor and the drive as short as possible.

I have been eliminating VFD and non-VFD EDM issues in motors for 20 years. First, let me say that the answer to all of my problems were found in a technical paper by Patrick Link of ABB. His paper is contained in that technical note 5 that someone mentioned in this thread.
If the motor is operating on common AC power, then the reason for EDM is a voltage potential difference from one end of the motor to the other. The result is a current path that must be interrupted to eliminate EDM. This is usually done by insulating the NDE bearing in the motor frame. Insocoat bearings are used often to accomplish this, but caution must be taken to also isolate the bearing from the inner and outer bearing caps. Also, if a bearing RTD or tach is added to the NDE, they must also be insulated.
Now, on to VFD issues.
Do not use Insocoat bearings. They are coated with a very thin ceramic coating and this is just one more capacitive boundary, like the lubrication in the bearing. The answer is to bore and sleeve the bearing bracket and install a substantial ring of glastic or phenolic material. For example, a 3 inch OD bearing should have a 1/4" ring pressed into the bracket. Then, all future bearing replacements can be made with standard bearings and not higher cost, longer lead time replacements, like ceramic ball bearings.
The high frequency generated by the VFD can only be controlled, contained, by installing VFD duty power cable. This cable has a 360 degree copper shied that surrounds all power leads and grounds. This shield must to terminated on both ends to carry the high frequency current back to the PE Ground on the drive. Remember, these are radio frequencies. They do not like round copper wire. The copper sheath is a flat conductor. So peel it away from the power leads inside the motor terminal box and ground it to a bolt that passes through the motor terminal box into the frame of the motor. On the other end, peel it off inside the VFD cabinet and terminate it to the PE ground terminal of the drive. Do NOT terminate it to the ground bus that runs along the bottom of many drive cabinets. It will not be effective.

And you can pay me now or pay me later (Framm Oil Filter Man) shaft brushes do NOT work.
RonB

Last edited: