OT: VFD induced damage to motor bearings.

The more I've thought about this I'm leaning to some other kind of damage to the motor. A 40 HP motor doesn't like to stop suddenly. There are a couple of hundred pounds in motion and when the hydraulic pump seized the motor was almost instantly decelerated until the coupling sheared. That means a lot of flexing happens in the motor. I told management before I left that the motor might be toast. We'll have to see what we find when the repair shop gets the motor cracked open.

I have seen a 20HP motor end up with an egg shaped stator housing after one such incident...not premium eff., but still made perfectly straight rotor rub...

Similar Topics

There's a lot of people on here that use VFDs on a regular basis. What's your take on shaft currents induced from the PWM wave of a vfds? What...
Replies
Views
Application: I have two pumps, a 20 Hp and a 10Hp 3/ph 460v in the same conduit. The Vfd's are located in each mcc bucket. I have been getting...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have above mentioned VFD which is communicating to my control logix(L62) plc using devicenet DNB scanner(plc side) and 20-comm-D card...
Replies
Views
Hello, first of all let me state for the record that I'm not a tech of any kind, I have limited experience with industrial automation devices, so...
Replies
Views
Sorry in advance for the long post, but this requires a little back story. I work in a facility with a couple hundred VFDs Most are in a web...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom