Panel View Plus 2711P-PVPCE Firmware Upgrade

Charles4th

Hello,

First time posting.

I am looking for a procedure to upgrade the firmware version of a Panelview Plus CE screen part number 2711P-PVPCE.

The current firmware version on the screen is 5.10.00.09 and I would like to upgrade to 10.0

I have a usb flash drive that I can use to create the firmware update file with I just want to ensure that I am selecting the correct firmware update from the rockwell automation site to accomplish this task.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I don't think that is an actual PanelView Plus part number. The backs of them have several sub part numbers labeled, like the screen, logic module, etc.

That being said, if your current firmware is 5.10.x, you will not be able to upgrade it above 5.10.x, the hardware changed. So the best you will be able to do is a minor revision upgrade. Otherwise you have to upgrade the PanelView itself.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!

Edit2: I remember there being older terminals that had a full blown CE desktop, maybe that is the terminal you have rather than the typical PanelView Plus. Either way, I think you are stuck at v5.10.x

Last edited:
My understanding is that dmroeder is correct and there was a hardware change at the same time as the firmware reached 6 (from 'PanelView Plus' and 'PanelView Plus CE' to 'PanelView Plus 6'). You cannot update an original PanelView Plus/CE beyond firmware 5 (major revision).

There may be some confusion because they re-used the display module*, so from the front a Panelview Plus 6 looks just like an original Panelview Plus.

If you want to have firmware 6 or later, you'll have to upgrade to the Panelview Plus 6 or the current Panelview Plus 7 line.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap003_-en-p.pdf for conversion of current model to equivalent PVP 6

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap004_-en-p.pdf for conversion from a PVP 6 model to a PVP 7.

*See https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/115612 for exceptions -- tl;dr they originally used a 5-wire touchscreen but then switched to an 8-wire and re-used that when they switched to PVP 6

More Information

I have been doing a little more research and found the correct panel view part number I believe 2711P-RDT10C

What I am, in the end, trying to accomplish is the ability to edit the current screen program on the panel view 1000 CE

I am running version 12.00 of FT View Studio

I have the current version of the screen program saved as version 6.0 but the firmware on my screen is 5.10.00.09

Is there no way I can make edits and save the program as Ver6 and have the screen run the runtime file?

Thanks again

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum !

PV+ firmware compatibility can be a complicated thing; I taught the first classes on the product in 2003 and I'm *still* often confused on it.

The good news is that if the project doesn't use KepServer or any ActiveX objects, and hasn't been updated with any PV+6 or newer features that don't run on older terminals, you should be able to "migrate upward" the project file to edit with FactoryTalk View Studio of any version, including modern v12 software.

FactoryTalk can then make a *.MER file that will run on any older firmware terminal. You have to select which firmware revision you are saving for when you create the *.MER Runtime file.

When you get into old pre-v6 and post-v6 ActiveX objects, and major differences in KepServer, you end up needing an old computer (I have some old Virtual Machines I use) to maintain the old PanelView Plus terminals.

Is there no way I can make edits and save the program as Ver6 and have the screen run the runtime file?
Yes, you can. When you create the runtime file you can specify what version to create it in.If your PVP is running firmware v5.10, you can create a v5.10 runtime file.

(edit: Ken strikes first, and more comprehensively)

Just an observation...

I just opened my Windows 10 VM with FT version 12 and created a new project. When I create a runtime it only lets me go back to version 6.0.

When I open my VM with FT version 11 (Windows 7-64) I can create a runtime back to 5.0.

OG

Just an observation...

I just opened my Windows 10 VM with FT version 12 and created a new project. When I create a runtime it only lets me go back to version 6.0.

When I open my VM with FT version 11 (Windows 7-64) I can create a runtime back to 5.0.

OG
What hardware selection does your project have? If it's specified to run on modern hardware it might only let you create runtimes as far back as that hardware can accept.

I'm 99% certain I've created v5.10 runtimes on my Windows Server 2019 VM running FTView 12.

edit: I just double checked and I'm actually still on FTView v11. So now I'm nervous about updating to v12...

Last edited:
edit: I just double checked and I'm actually still on FTView v11. So now I'm nervous about updating to v12...

Yeah, I created a new project using the default terminal for the screen size. That is the PVPlus 700/1000 (640x480). I haven't added or changed anything to it. Curious if anyone else sees the same in v12.

Unrelated, version 12 changes the look and feel to more closely resemble the appearance of Logix v31 and newer. I had not opened v12 until I saw this thread.

OG

The number of people with longer and deeper experience with PV+ than I have is a short list... but Operaghost is on it.

It's entirely possible that FactoryTalk View Studio v12 has finally forsaken the pre-PV+6 platform and operating system. That tickles my recollection neurons.

Update and Failure

So I added a button to the screen, saved the project and created a runtime file version 6.0 and transferred it the the PV+ 1000 with the 5.10.00.09 Firmware and it wouldn't load stating a conflict between the project version and the the firmware version on the screen.

I made sure there was no kepware files included in the project but still the version 6 program would not load.

Version 6 is the oldest I can roll back to on the windows 10 OS may have to install a older OS via VMWare and have the older version of factory talk if I want to be able to edit this screen, or upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

Windows 10 is not the issue - I can generate a v5.10 runtime file on Windows Server 2019, which for all intents and purposes is Windows 10 with more management tools and less candy crush. It sounds like the issue is FTView v12. So yes, you're going to need a new VM with FTView 11 or earlier installed (as you can't install multiple versions of FTView side by side), but that VM can still be Windows 10 if you want.