PanelBuilder32 Remember numeric entry?

Mikey: PV do retain _some_ user data over a power cycle. See 'Power Up' under application settings, and related Help tab. Like Okie, I don't trust it. It's Panel_View_, not a Panel_Control_. I let the PLC do the thinking and remembering. Write on Startup comes into play here.

HMMMM?

See help quote below. As you said its still unclear to me. Only if you selected "Write to Controller on Start-up"

5 If you selected Write to Controller on Startup, specify what values to write to the controller.

Select: To:
Use Terminal Presets: Write initial values set by application
Use Last Terminal States: Write values present prior to power-up. This is the default.
Note: Preset values for objects are set in the object’s dialog. These values override initial values entered in the Tag Editor except for numeric entry objects.

Allen-Bradley Company, LLC, Copyright © 1993-2002, All Rights Reserved

Lastly, you had a Rockwell Technote ID. I've got access...

AB Knowledgebase # 17492

Last edited:
HMMMM?

See help quote below. As you said its still unclear to me. Only if you selected "Write to Controller on Start-up"

5 If you selected Write to Controller on Startup, specify what values to write to the controller.

Select: To:
Use Terminal Presets: Write initial values set by application
Use Last Terminal States: Write values present prior to power-up. This is the default.
Note: Preset values for objects are set in the object’s dialog. These values override initial values entered in the Tag Editor except for numeric entry objects.

Allen-Bradley Company, LLC, Copyright © 1993-2002, All Rights Reserved

AB Knowledgebase # 17492

Mickey: Sorry, man. I misspelled your name.

That's the line I was looking at. It will save data values over a power-cycle, if you so choose. Most of the machines I have around decide for themselves
what initial values should be, so I don't generally have that turned on. This is the line that could use clarification:

"These values override initial values entered in the Tag Editor except for numeric entry objects. "

After some experimentation, I'm going to guess that it refers to the "Initial State" setting that does NOT appear on the Numeric Entry object dialog. A dead end?

Wildcatherder: Have you tried saving the file with your values intact, and editing that? (as opposed to re-upping the original editted file repeatedly) ? I'd guess yes by now, but it's worth a try...

I don't have any PV's to experiment on right now.

---------------------------------------------

Anybody like Rockwell's "New" Knowledgebase search engine? (!)

17492 - Error: PanelBuilder32 - Unable to load file. Not a PanelBuilder file or file is corrupted or disk space is low

Problem/Symptom:

Application is running in the PanelView.
Whilst attempting to Upload the PanelBuilder reports the error:
"Unable to load file. Not a PanelBuilder file or file is corrupted or disk space is low."
"Failed to open document."

Cause:

An attempt was made to open the PanelBuilder Application (.PBA) file with an older version of software. PanelBuilder (.PBA) files can only be
opened with the same (or higher) version than it was created with.

PanelBuilder 32 (PBA/PVA) files are not backwardly compatible.

Problem/Symptom:

Application is running in the PanelView.
Whilst attempting to Upload the PanelBuilder reports the error:
"Unable to load file. Not a PanelBuilder file or file is corrupted or disk space is low."
"Failed to open document."

Cause:

An attempt was made to open the PanelBuilder Application (.PBA) file with an older version of software. PanelBuilder (.PBA) files can only be
opened with the same (or higher) version than it was created with.

PanelBuilder 32 (PBA/PVA) files are not backwardly compatible.

Thanks, I have Ver. 03.80.00

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I did try checking "Write to controller on Startup" with "Use Last Terminal States" - no go. I couldn't even retain the values that had been retained previously. So I unchecked that option.

The whole Power-Up question got me thinking.

I entered my desired values, then immediately powered down the PanelView 1000. The values were still there when I powered it up again. I went through a download cycle from PanelBuilder 32 - all the values were still there.

Then, I went through a download cycle from RSLogix 500 and all the integers were there but all the Floats had been zeroed.

Does this provide more clues?

If someone call tell me how to "store" a variable value (not as a constant) within RSLogix 500 that will persist through a power cycle of the MicroLogix 1400, then I can retain the Floating point numbers as well.

The version of PowerBuilder 32 I am using is 3.83.

Additional notes - I tried one of the floating point variables with nothing in the Display Tag field but that made no difference. I have to keep the Notify/Handshake tags for data verification.

By the way, I do not have a memory card for PanelView 1000.

I'm still in development on this project and. according to the RSLogix 500 rev counter, I've downloaded from RSLogix 500 more than 250 times already. This means I've reentered the floating point values and one of the integer values many, many times.

I've determined the fundamental problem to be an RSLogix 500 behavior. The Float variables are zeroed at the moment I go Offline. The integers retain their values.

Know of way to change this behavior?

When connected using RSLogix500 to the PLC perform an UPLOAD to retain all the values you have entered. When you next DOWNLOAD to the PLC the data tables will contain the data they had when you did the upload.

If you don't perform the upload then RSLogix500 will write whatever it has to the data tables. The float values you see when you go OFFLINE are those last uplaoded from the PLC. And those are what will be written when you next download. RSLogix does not automatically sync its disk image of the data tables with thos in the connected PLC.

Check also if the ladder logic performs any type of clearing function on transition to RUN.

When we used the Panelview we never had it write to the PLC on power up. The PLC will naturally retain any value written to it. You don't need to have the Panelview re-write these values.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that the Panelview is zeroing out your floats.

As a test, disconnect the Panelview from the MicroLogix so there's no way it could be writing to the PLC. Perform a download as you have in the past and see if your floats zero out.

Upon download, all values stored in your RSLogix 500 file will be transferred to the MicroLogix. Everything that was there before is wiped out. If the floats are zero on your computer, they will be zero in PLC after download.

Is the problem that the floats are zero after PLC download or that the Panelview incorrectly displays them as zero?

Bernie_carlton is right about the upload. It takes two or three minutes. It's a little confusing because it creates a new file. Also, if you try to rename the new file as the old file, it simply will not let you do it until after a reboot which is another three or four minutes on my PC.

So, this is a good way to establish a set of "stable" entries but not worth it to preserve changes to one or two entries because it is faster just to re-enter those.

The question for me is why the integers are simply retained after a power-cycle on the PanelView 1000 and the floats require the upload.

I did check, as previously noted in my posts, that there is no ladder logic clearing the float values.

However, my question has been answered and I know where I stand.

Thanks for all contributions.

I've determined the fundamental problem to be an RSLogix 500 behavior. The Float variables are zeroed at the moment I go Offline. The integers retain their values.

Know of way to change this behavior?

Something is wrong there...

What version of RSLogix and and RSLinx are you using?

Also, with regard to having to reboot the PC to be able to save as the same name:

Does that happen when you go online and choose "Create new file"? You should not choose that option, rather you should Upload using file, or simply go directly online if the file matches the one that is open, or one in the default path.

When you are online, you should be able to save the file. You should be prompted to upload all data tables, and answer yes, then those floats should be retained, even when go offline (without closing the file). I have a suspicion that there is a copy of the program saved on the PC with zeros in the floats, and RSLogix is switching to that file when you go offline...Either that, or there is a bug in the version of RSLogix or RSLinx you're using which may (or may not) apply to the new Micrologix units.

Earlier, I thought your problem was caused by downloading the Panelview program while leaving the PLC running...

Paul

Well, this is good news.

The short answer for saving values entered on the PanelView 1000 is to make the changes while the RSLogix 500 program is Online in Run mode and then to save the program.

The values are then retained and displayed properly even after a download from the RSLogix 500 program.

Thanks to OkiePC for straightening me out on that. It will be a real time saver.

I did get in a mess when I chose a new file name for the upload. As I said, I had to reboot to save as the original file name. Then, when I tried to go online it kept creating a new offline file and wouldn't take the original name for that. I was stuck in a loop for a while there.

Eventually I had to do a new upload, save that. Reboot, then do Save As to get back to my original file name.

Thanks again.
So, right, don't change the file name on upload.