PanelView+ 1500 Touch Screen Freezing Up

klmfdc

Hello, I have 2 PanelView+ 1500s and the touch screen freezes up from time to time. Sometimes it will for a few days then other times it will do it over & over.
Could this be a connectivity issue between the switch or the units themselves? I am going to pull 2 new cables from the the switch to the units.
Also could it be some kind of programming problem.
I have no idea.
Thanks

Is the data on the screen updating whilst the screen is unresponsive to touch inputs? If so, then it is likely that there is a problem with the screen its self, if the data is not updating then it could be a communications problem.

I've experienced before when a panelview was running out of memory, It's basically just a small windows box.

make sure there aren't extra programs sitting on it taking up space.

I know a company that switched the panelviews with small PCs running view station ME because there was so much data on the screen the panelviews were slowing down.

Thanks. I'm going to look into stored data that might be taking up space. I've already pulled 2 new cat 6 cables to them, I'm getting ready to terminate them. I also sent another one out that we had that was doing the same thing, haven't gotten it back yet.
We shall see.
Thanks again

In general the Windows CE operating system used by PV+ loads the whole OS and application into RAM at startup and only uses the SD card or actual hardware file system for log files. Abandoned *.MER files or overflowing log files would not affect the runtime.

It's technically possible for the runtime to have a "memory leak" or for the split of RAM allocation between Storage Memory and Program Memory might be insufficient for your runtime needs. Typically you will see a Windows CE "Out of Memory" error if that happens.

Most FTView ME applications don't run out of memory, but large ones with complex screens can, especially if you use a lot of "on top" displays instead of "replace" displays.

If this were my system I would create a diagnostic screen that has the FactoryTalk Diagnostic list object on it, and maybe some numeric display fields showing some of the pre-defined System variables related to memory.

That will let you see if there are persistent configuration-related comms problems (like it's trying to read non-existent tags from the PLC), or occasional timeouts that might be related to a physical network problem, or a resource problem on the PLC side.

Edit: Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

While I don't reflexively say "upgrade the firmware !", if your PV+ is more than 10 years old or running pre-v5.10 firmware, you might get performance and stability benefits from a firmware upgrade. Check the part number and firmware versions on the sticker on the back, and/or the actual firmware version shown on the configuration screens.

Last edited: