PanelView 550: can't download .pva file

mscriven

Hello. At work we've acquired an old tubing end former machine we're trying to get running. The machine came with 2 floppy disks that have .RSS, .PVA, and .PVB files. The PV seems to see the .PVA file on memory card but a few seconds after it tries to load it I get an "error file not supported 307" which RA manual says "File is incompatible with the terminal’s firmware."
PV #: 2711-B5A2
SER: F
REV: C
FRN: 3.01
When i power-up the PV is shows version 3.01.

So does that mean i need to update firmware? I've seen mention of using PanelBuilder 32, which we don't have, or a computer that we can use to communicate w/ DH485.
I'd appreciate any help you can send my way.
Marty

Did the PanelView 550 terminal come with the machine, or are you taking an old PV550 off the shelf and trying to load the *.PVA file into it ?

If you zip and post the *.PBA file, folks with PanelBuilder32 might be able to tell you which firmware revision it was built for.

Is the memory card in this terminal compatible with a laptop you have ? Version 3.x was the start of compatibility with "ATA Flash" memory cards that modern PCs support if they have Type II PCMCIA sockets. The older memory cards were a style called "linear flash" that generally required an external drive for access from a PC.

There is a standalone PanelView upload/download utility, but with that old B5A2 you need a true DH485 interface like a 1747-UIC.

Thx Ken.
PV came with machine.
Memory card is a 2GB compact flash we just bought, and we're using it along w/ a pcmcia adapter. Seems to be formatted in Fat16.
You mention the PV utility just as an alternative to using a memory card?
Attached .zip file is .pva and.pvb files.
What are the difference between the two?
Thx again.
Marty

Cool, thanks !

*.PBA is "PanelBuilder Application" and is the whole project file that PanelBuilder32 opens and edits.

*.PVA is the "PanelView Application", which is the runtime file that gets loaded into the terminal and run by it's proprietary OS. That file gets automatically created and downloaded when PanelBuilder32 downloads to the terminal, or you can do a "Save As" (to my recollection) to make the runtime file for loading via memory card.

You can usually re-create a *.PBA from a *.PVA, except for in very old terminals where a lot of extra info was stripped out before download to fit in their small memory (like PV550 Series A 1.x). Or, users could choose to strip out that data intentionally to for intellectual property protection.

You got it right using a small CF card in a Type II adapter formatted for FAT16. That's what most folks maintaining PanelView Standard terminals have done for 20 years.

Yes, it is having a DH485 interface. As Ken mentioned you need a 1747-UIC interface to download. I have no experience using the CF card to transfer, so can't comment more on it.
But noticed the settings on power up is set as "Never Load from Card"

Delphi.JPG Power up.JPG

I was able to open that *.PBA file with PanelBuilder32 version 3.83.01.

It did note that "Project was created by an older version of PanelBuilder" but opened it correctly. I usually see those when the project is from v2.6 or older of PanelBuilder. Unlike RSLogix, there wasn't a Major Rev = Major Rev match between PanelBuilder32 revisions and the PanelView Standard firmware.

The configuration shows that it's set up for a 2711-B5A2 with version 3.00 - 3.09 firmware.

So the runtime file should work, and I can't say why it doesn't.

I saved the *.PBA and *.PVA fresh with my copy of PanelBuilder32, and included the handful of exceptions listed when I created the runtime as a text file. The .ZIP is attached.

Go ahead and put this *.PVA on the root directory of your memory card and give it a try.

Rats! No bueno. I swear it took a little longer to error-out but could be my "hopeful" imagination.
thx for your tips.
Could it still be something w/ memory card? Seems like i read that formatting in the PV is bad, but is that something to try?

You can reformat the card to FAT16, but that really is generally bulletproof.

In general, PanelView firmware was packaged with PanelBuilder32 and my recollection is that the upload/download utility included a firmware loader.

You could test the PanelView by loading a simple application. I've attached one that just reads the free-running clock (S2:4) out of the SLC at Node 1 on the DH485 network.

It has been a few years since I dealt with loading a PV Standard from a CF card/adapter, but I did have problem with one particular card even though it was formatted FAT16, so that very well may be your issue. If you give up on finding a compatible CF card (or maybe the PCMCIA slot in the hardware is flaky?) you can load it using PB32 utility with RSLinx and this cable:

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485/

Be aware that if you are running a version of RSLinx 4.0 or greater you may hit an error, but there is a workaround posted in this forum should you need it:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=115100

Ken, thx for the test file, but it gives me the 307 error.
Okie: the PB32 utility is something we would have to pay for, yes?
Thx.
Marty

I'm not sure if PanelBuilder32 software (2711-ND3) is still actually for sale.

It's not copy-protected like most Rockwell software, though technically it's still a single-seat license.

In my experience, you can get it from your local Rockwell Automation sales office or distributor in exchange for an opportunity for them to pitch some upgrades or services to your company.

Since the test *.PVA gave you the same error, I would try a new CF card first.

The application is fairly simple. A local integrator (or heck, somebody here) might be willing to give conversion to their favorite platform a shot at a reasonable cost. If it were me I would probably choose a Red Lion CR1000.

Holy Shmoly it works! I formatted the card in the machine, then tried Ken's test file and that loaded. Then tried file i need and it went right in. Yea!
But have an error 613.

Thx to all for you help.

IMG_20220316_165827905.jpg

i can't get passed this screen with the error. But before this i was able to poke around in the PV. I've had the machine on/off numerous times today trying to get this stuff loaded. I think when the PV seemed to work i had the laptop connected to the PLC (had loaded program in to PLC). Maybe i have a node number messed up or something?
Also, after shutting of machine it appears the program is gone from the PV. I read there's a battery for the real time clock, but not for the file. Does that make sense. Do i need to work about the real time clock?
Thx.

The PanelView Standard terminals were one of the first devices A-B built with flash memory instead of EEPROMs. The battery is strictly for the real-time clock and the firmware and application files are in separate nonvolatile (and non-removable) storage devices.

If you power cycled and it appears to have "lost the program" then either you're reading the runtime file from the removable PCMCIA/CompactFlash card and that interface is failing, or you've transferred the runtime file to onboard storage and that's failing.

The application file you posted was configured for DH485 connectivity to an old SLC-5/03 controller with OS300, so I presume that's what the PanelView is connected to.

It's a 2711-B5A2, so that's the classic DH485 with no extra serial port, and with the modular jacks and not RS-232.

So the connection should be the wide "AMP" style connector on the PanelView connected to the RJ45 Channel 1 DH-485 connector on the SLC-5/03. The cable part number is 1747-C10, -C11, or -C20 (the length is the difference).

The SLC-5/03 actually powers the isolated DH485 daughtercard in the PanelView via that cable. That's one reason why if you used the old 1747-PIC interfaces you also needed the PanelView plugged into an SLC or into a little supplementary power supply.

Do not succumb to the temptation of connecting an Ethernet patch cord between the SLC's RJ45 port and the PanelView's RJ45 port. Anguish, and maybe a whiff of smoke, could ensue.