PanelView 600/DH485 Download Issues

Xtian4

I have a PV600 (2711-B6C5) that has a single RS232 serial port that only talks (and apparently is restricted to) DH485. I have built my application in PanelBuilder32 and can't for the life of me download it. I've tried both straight from the PC via serial (null modem) cable and also tried going through the PLC's serial port (configured for DH485) via my EtherNet/IP RSLinx connection to the PLC, but it can't see the PanelView.

Does this unit need a special cable of some sort? I've done a fair amount of googling and can't find much info about this specific model.

In PanelBuilder I've got the application configured for the proper model number, catalog and revision numbers. The terminal is set to node address 2, max 32, at 19200 baud. The PLC node address is set to 1.

When I go to download, the possible paths I'm offered are:
DF1 point to point - internal com 1
DF1 point to point - internal com 3
RS Linx Network
Remote IO pass through

Nothing works, it just fails to even check the terminal. Going through Linx seems promising until I get to the serial port of the PLC where it shows as channel 0, DF1 even though it is configured in the Logix program as DH485.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The cable you need is a straight through cable.

You will need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSlinx. ( need a real serial port for this driver).

What PLC/SLC do you have?
If no serial port then a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) will work.

Or a memory card for the PV to load its program.

Thanks Mickey

I do have a real serial port on my laptop, and the PLC is a 1756-L61 ControlLogix. I'll try the driver you suggest and make sure the cable is not a X-over.

I had the same trouble some time ago.. The straight through cable was the answer for me.. You can build different applications in the device itself, and pull the one that you need when you need it.

I know you want to figure the cable thing out and that is fine....but...

Take it from me. I've been there and done that. The best way to do it, in my opinion of course, is with a Compact Flash card. It is probably 10 times faster than the cable. The only way that I wouldn't mind using the cable is if I was using ethernet. Ethernet is plenty fast enough. But I've tried downloading with DF1 or DH485. Its not bad if the program is small, but a large program is a pain in the you know what...Just my opinion.