Panelview 600 passthrough port damage?

Hi All,

I've got a panelview 600 connected on DH+ to a SLC 5/02. Had a sensor issue I was trying to trace, so I connected my laptop to the PV (using a 1747-UIC) to pass-through to the PLC.

I've used this same hardware and software setup for over a decade, no issues. But I did not notice I had accidentally grabbed a cross-over ethernet cable instead of a straight-thru to connect the UIC to the Pass-through port on the PV600.

Fiddled with the software a bit, realized I had the wrong cable, replaced, but still could not get it to come back. Wound up unplugging the PV at the SLC and connecting directly, that worked fine, so the UIC and RSLinx setup is good.

That only leaves the port on the PV... but can that really get blown out just by putting a crossover cable on it?

Anybody else dealt with this problem?

Thanks!

TM

Most modern ethernet ports will accept either as they detect this and adjust accordingly, knowing how PLC manufacturers work they are slow to take up modern interfaces some still use 232 485 and not even USB for local programming. so it is possible I suppose however, I have known people in the past to do it on ethernet before it was possible to use either & never heard of any damage, I assume you have tried powering down & up ?

It's not ethernet, it's DH485. IIRC, there is 24vdc on one of those pins on the RJ connector on the SLC. I have connected a laptop ethernet port to a 5/03 once for about 5 seconds and got away with no damage. I have seen others not so lucky and smoke the NIC in their PC.

I am not 100% sure that the RJ plug on the Panelview standard will have harmful voltage present, and if it did and you crossed it, I would think it is more likely to have damaged the UIC than the PV port.

Ugh.. I never read the post correctly, I was wondering about the passthrough and IP addresses but of course it's DH485 not ethernet.

To clarify: because it's an SLC-5/02 and a 1747-UIC, the protocol is Data Highway 485 not Data Highway Plus.

The DH485 port on those controllers has +24V on it for powering isolated interface converters. It's on Pins 3 and 8.

Dedicated-purpose cables that don't need to provide power of course omit those pin connections.

But an Ethernet patch cable with "crossover" wiring would put +24V from Pins 3 onto Pin 1. On a "crossover" cable Pin 8 still goes straight through.

I can't say for sure what's on Pin 1 of your 1747-UIC (the real A-B one or the aftermarket versions). It's probably chassis ground, which would short out the +24V on the SLC's port if there was a path from USB -> PC -> power supply -> earth.

It's my understanding that the modular RJ45 jack on a PanelView is an isolated port that gets its power from the connected device (1747-AIC or SLC-5/0x). So if the 24V power supply (there might be an internal fuse) on the SLC is not functioning, the PanelView's port is undamaged but is also unpowered.

Get a meter and check for 24V on Pins 3 and 8 of the SLC's port.

You might be able to resuscitate this system with a 1747-AIC isolator or a supplementary power supply.

Thanks everyone.

The UIC is an AB original, and it came through intact. I was able to plug into the PLC directly and monitor the program that way, so the PLC and UIC are fine.

Sounds like I probably killed the pass-through port on the PV, darn it all...

Thanks again!