panelview file types .pva .pba

helene

Hello everybody. I have a question and if somebody can help me I would be glad. I know that files transferred to a terminal are in a .PVA format, files within
PanelBuilder are in a .PBA format. But do I loose anything when I upload a program in a .pva format and I don't have the .pba file. Are there differences between them?
Thank you in advance.

Hello everybody. I have a question and if somebody can help me I would be glad. I know that files transferred to a terminal are in a .PVA format, files within
PanelBuilder are in a .PBA format. But do I loose anything when I upload a program in a .pva format and I don't have the .pba file. Are there differences between them?
Thank you in advance.

In all of the years I've done this, to my knowledge, no.

I upload the PVA file quite regularily to make sure I have the actual running package for the HMI. I have never had a problem with it, or lost anything. Unfortunately, that does not hold true for the PanelView Plus HMIs.

Stu.....

My interpretation
If you look on the .PVA file being a compressed or Zip file of the .PBA file,
making the file size that goes to the Panelview smaller.

The empty spaces are removed but it knows where they were.

The .PVA , is the Panelview run file, of the .PBA , the application file

Last edited:
If the Panelview is downloaded and the application data is eliminated during the download (to reduce the size) then you can't open the pva file in Panelbuilder 32. This is rarely done, but I have been bitten by it before...

If you performed the download, and did not uncheck the tick boxes for the application data, tag data, and network data, then you will not lose anything during the upload.

Thanks all of you for the replies. From my little experience, I did an upload, I worked on the project and I downloaded again, I hadn't any problem. But after that I read in an other forum that:" in some cases the file in the panelview will not contain enough information to go back to the panelbuilder format.this is done sometimes to save memory in the panelveiw, othertimes by unscrupulous people who do not want some one to be able to modify the panelview w/o paying to do so."
After that I am wondering if the file .pva I worked on had all the informations or not and I didn't understand it.
Anyway I am convinced know that its ok!!:nodi:

I can´t open a file .PVA

Hi, I need your help!! I can not open a file .PVA, I would like know if Somebody can convert it to .PBA or guide me to do it. Thanks since now.....🍻

This is the Error that I received for BM14BV.PVA

"Cannot Load the External Font Server"

The Solution:

The application was created using an external font .otf file that is on the memory card of the PanelView.
Solution

This .otf file needs to be copied into the C:\Program Files\Allen-Bradley\PanelBuilder32\Font directory.

If you do not have the .otf file then you will not be able to open the .PVA file.

Do you have access to the PanelView this came off of?

Stu....