Panelview Plus ME Communication Issue

threetrey

Good afternoon,
I'm having some HMI communication issues with FactoryTalk View ME. I'm trying to make an update to an existing program that has already been running, but when I download the updated runtime file there is no communication at the HMI, everything is showing ???'s.
I save the runtime as a new filename and load the new application. I press No to the "Replace communications with the application communication setting" question so the communication setup should not be changing.
Unfortunately I am not able to upload the most recent file from the HMI because the runtime was created and set to "Never Allow Conversion". So I'm using the most recent development file I could find of the program with the same name as the current runtime file.
I've also gone into RSLinx Enterprise and made sure the runtime (target) communication setup that's selected is exactly the same as what I see under "Application Settings->Device Shortcuts"

If I'm not selecting to change the communication setup, and using what should be the most recent file, I can't figure out why I am not getting any communication after making the update?
Is there some other setting in FactoryTalk that could have been changed somehow that is keeping the communication from working?

If you download this file with a GoTo Config button then the comms path can be validated on the running screen and can be checked and edited there. On the config screen it is F3 application settings and the comms path shortcut can be viewed there.

Any update on what the solution was? i am having the same issue when downloading a restored HMI i uploaded back into an HMI remotely. the original runtime works if i download it back in but the one i have changed doesnt work. i've added my rslink enterprise runtime targets in manually because i am remote and it runs fine on my PC when i test it. nothing but question marks when i download it.

Any update on what the solution was? i am having the same issue when downloading a restored HMI i uploaded back into an HMI remotely. the original runtime works if i download it back in but the one i have changed doesnt work. i've added my rslink enterprise runtime targets in manually because i am remote and it runs fine on my PC when i test it. nothing but question marks when i download it.

That's your problem. Your remote path on the PC is different than the path from the physical panelview to the PLC. You need to set the comm path referenced to the panelview to PLC.

Another gotcha that's existed in every version I've worked with since v4:
If you make ANY changes in the Linx Enterprise configuration on your PC, make sure it's all correct and then reboot your PC BEFORE generating the MER file. Otherwise, it sometimes won't work in the HMI. I figured this out the hard way after a LOT of aggravation and do-overs once a long time ago. Every now and then, I forget and have to "re-learn" the lesson.

Thanks for the replies.

joseph_e2 i read that in another forum and tried this also. i got the same result. i have been able to remotely work on HMI's before with this same method im using right now but for some reason lately i cant seem to get it to work. i definetly think it is a comm path issue like robertmee mentioned just not sure on what exactly is causing it.

i managed to get it to work last time with another HMI by restoring the runtime i uploaded and just manually changing the tags i needed to on the displays then creating a runtime without even opening up rslinx enterprise. once the runtime was created i would download to the hmi and de-select the option to replace communications paths when i downloaded.

the com path to the PLC from my PC or the hmi shouldnt change that much it is a basic system, 2x Control logix L72 with an ENBT card in the chassis. both PLCs are in the same rack and use the same ENBT card to connect to both PLCs.

Define that much? As long as your PC is on the same subnet and route (ie PLC and PC to same enxt module in rack) it would work. But if your panelview is connected directly or through switches to one enxt and you're remotely drilling down through a gateway or another Enxt on that rack and set the path from your PC it will not work. I would go to linx comms on the working and non working and carefully compare the paths.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. i got it working in the end.

i followed my previous method.
1- uploaded and restored the HMI runtime,
2- repointed the 2 coms paths to the proper plcs so my PC can browse the tags and test the application. made all the required changes to the application and tested on my PC.
3 - once i was finished. i restored the HMI application again,
4 - opened the newly restored application and updated the hmi screens by copying and replacing the buttons / objects on the screen with the ones from the application i changed the coms path on. didn't repoint or open rslinx enterprise on the 2nd app
5 - created a v5.1 runtime.
6 - downloaded the runtime to the HMI and unselected the replace coms path option. and success it works.

all the PLC's and HMI's are on the same subnet in this plant, no fancy vlans/routing or anything, just a star configuration utilizing switches to connect the HMI's to multiple PLC's through the rack's ethernet cards. no ethernet cards are used to connect an HMI to a PLC through another racks Ethernet card. i could see this causing an issue in my case but i know this isn't the scenario.

i hope this thread helps someone else stuck in my position in the future.