Passing hmi interger values into timers

ISL_MAN

How do I convert a integer which contains a number of miliseconds so I can load it into a timer which seems to want it in the format S5T#100Ms. I dont want to have to change the type to anything else as it comes from a recipe value which comes from HMI.

Last edited:
Just remeberd I've done this before a few years ago. I convert my interger into BCD and xor it with 2000 to change the time base

ISL_MAN said:
How do I convert a integer which contains a number of miliseconds so I can load it into a timer which seems to want it in the format S5T#100Ms. I dont want to have to change the type to anything else as it comes from a recipe value which comes from HMI.

I prefer IEC timers for a number of reasons. One of them is that it is easier to use the values from a HMI driectly.

The format of the setpoint for an S5 timer is:
· W#16#wxyz
· Where w = the time base (that is, the time interval or resolution)
· Where xyz = the time value in binary coded decimal format

Time Base Binary Code for the Time Base
10 ms 00
100 ms 01
1 s 10
10 s 11

The milliseconds timer setpoint should allready be in BCD format. If not, you must convert it from INT to BCD with the ITB instruction.
As the smallest resolution for an S5 timer is 10 ms, so should the value from the HMI also be in 10 ms resolution ("12" = 120 ms).
It could look like this:

if 10 msec timebase is used:
L "HMI_SP" 
ITB //remove this line if HMI_SP is allready BCD
L W#16#0FFF //first 4 bits set to zero = 10 ms timebase.
AW //combine HMI_SP and 0FFF to make BCD setpoint.
T "S5Timer_SP"

10 msec timebase it a little different from the other timebases.
Example if 1 sec timebase is used:
L "HMI_SP" 
ITB //remove this line if HMI_SP is allready BCD
L W#16#0FFF
AW //strip the last 4 bits from HMI_SP
L W#16#2000 //first 4 bits set to 0010 = 1 sec timebase.
0W //combine HMI_SP and 2000 to make BCD setpoint.
T "S5Timer_SP"

I convert my interger into BCD and xor it with 2000 to change the time base
The "2000" must be for 1 sec timebase.
Also, with XOR you must check the the value from the HMI doesnt exceed 0-999, otherwise it will make problems.

edit: If the HMI happens to be a Siemens panel or PC runtime, then you can set lower and upper limits to the tags. You can set them to 0 and 999 to avoid unexpected behavior by the code.
Use 2 decimal points to format the setpoint to seconds on the HMI ("123" = 1230 milliseconds = 1.23 seconds).

Last edited: