PC controls programs

C# .NET, and Python seem to be fairly good.

Python will let you script two great Automation Softwares, CODESYS and Ignition.

C# will let you use advanced HMI, and the .NET multiverse is fairly extensive.

Codesys, or one of it's derivatives such as TwinCAT, is possibly the most widely used PC based PLC. The nice thing about it is that you can write a program that runs on a PC, then use the same program to download to a hardware based real-time controller, such as a Beckhoff CX8090.

Codesys also has a Raspberry Pi based run time (non-real time) that turns a Pi into a PLC that can you use the GPIO. It also supports Ethernet/IP as scanner or adapter, EtherCAT, and Profibus directly from the Ethernet port. On top of it there is a web based HMI built into it. Quite an impressive set of features for less than $100

I've been playing around with Codesys using an industrialized Raspberry Pi along with Beckhoff EtherCAT IO and have it setup as an Ethernet/IP adapter to a CompactLogix.

If you download the free Codesys development environment, it also installs a non-real-time run-time on your same PC that you can download programs to and they will run for 2 hours.

Recently I was also looking into that and Beckhoff is worth pursuing. It looks like they have a very wast set of libraries that are not available for "standard" PLC.

Bechoff will cover this there development language is basically CodeSYS. You should be able to get TWinCat2 installed easily on a PC and actually get it to Run as a softplc for a few hours/days or with a google search longer.

Beckhoff also use TwinCat3 which is codesys 3 but the licensing of this is harder

Another option would be to use CODESYS and use a Raspberry PI as the Controller but I think there is a cost for the rasp PI bolton to codeSys and link it to Wago IO or Beckhoff IO

Beckhoff also use TwinCat3 which is codesys 3 but the licensing of this is harder

There's no need for the license at all with the TC3 in the development enviroment. It runs for 7 days with the trial license which is easy to renew when it's needed . Licence is needed only when you run your program in the plc and you are partly right. Licensing could be little bit tricky but easiest way for the licensing is to get license dongle EL6070 with the stored runtime license