PCIS for A/B SLC 150?

I received the cable on Monday and I am attempting to go online. I keep getting a communication error. I have tried all of the baud settings and have had no luck. I was able to go online with a handheld if that helps at all. My boss thinks maybe my COM1 port is not setup right? Is XP Professional OK to use?

No, Win XP is not ok to use.

Those old DOS programs had different hooks to the hardware than the current OS's do. There is a program called DOSBOX that ~may~ help, but no guarantees. Otherwise, you'll need to come up with something running Win98 or older.

69dodge said:
I received the cable on Monday and I am attempting to go online. I keep getting a communication error. I have tried all of the baud settings and have had no luck. I was able to go online with a handheld if that helps at all. My boss thinks maybe my COM1 port is not setup right? Is XP Professional OK to use?

I have successfully used PCIS within DOSbox 0.71 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 to go online to a SLC100 for troubleshooting. We still have a 1745-PCC for the physical connection.

One thing for sure, is to be sure you shut down RSLinx and make certain no other windows programs are utilizing the serial port to which you are conenected.

Paul

Read the link that I put in the second post... are you using the email that I sent you? and using the link in the second post on this thread?

The software will open up in XP and run, but it will not work, you have to use DOSBOX

I am using DOSBox 0.70. Is the serisl port on an XP machine COM1? I assume it is but I haven't used a serial device for a while. Can I use a 25pin to 9pin adapter? The PCIS software also has a COM2 option, but I was getting an error when I tried to use it.

Also, I am having trouble downloading DOSBox 0.72 from their website (link to sourceforge.net) can anybody hook me up with a newer version than 0.70?

That is the one that takes me to Sourceforge.net:Files in a new window, and that window never loads the page. Try it and see if it works for you.

Com 1 problems

This may sound stupid but I have had problems with com ports because I had RSLinx running on startup and the DF1 driver running.

Just a thought

Kevin

I wish I had RSLinx again (old job) and some RSLogix on the side. Unfortunatley, I this is the only A/B in the house (they have some telemacanique with TwidoSoft) and I don't think they are going to upgrade because I have it in run mode now. But, you are right, I have had RSLinx take over my COM1 on startup. Does anyone know if TwidoSoft has this bug?

I am using 0.72 make sure that your screens look like this...

also try this www.plctrainer.net/DOSBOX.zip

put your PCIS software on you root c drive

mount it and just type pcis after you get into the folder... unzip it and put it on your c drive

mount c C:\pcis
C:
CD pcis
pcis

I think that is what you need to type to get it to come up if you have left it in the file that I gave you

dos.JPG

69dodge said:
That is the one that takes me to Sourceforge.net:Files in a new window, and that window never loads the page. Try it and see if it works for you.

It's working fine for me. Corporate blocked?? (I can't d/l from sourceforge at work, either)

Regarding GIT's post, my screen says "Warning tried to activate FIFO" instead of "opening com1". I found an old Windows 98 machine and was able to connect with no DOSBox and no problem at all. I am still going to try with XP when I get a chance, but so far I'm getting it done. This forum is an excellent resource, I must say. I did also manage to get DOSBox 0.71 and 0.72.

http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe

Last edited:
You must configure your box :)

Open the file dosbox.conf ..... look in C:\Program Files\DOSBOX-0.72

Open this file using note pad ((warning)) make sure that the box is NOT!!! check that says open all files with this extension with this program....

On the bottom of the file you will see your com ports make sure it looks like this

[serial]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=disabled
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled