PLC-2/15 Assistance Required - Willing to Pay

agarb

We have a horizontal boring mill with a PLC-2/15. The mill is down and production way behind. We have no programming software or even the logic from the manufacturer. If there is somebody out there that would be willing to come on-site and upload the the program and help us troubleshoot it, please shoot me a PM.

I've called our local distributor and they are looking for software...

Our distributor says they have a terminal we can use to talk to the PLC2/15 -- but they loaned it out to somebody else a couple days ago and we have to wait until they get it back.

I also found a local guy that may be able to help, but he thinks he that he might have sold his cable to somebody who offered him a bunch of money... he is supposed to call me back.

In the meantime, I found a hardcopy of the program. Not sure if it is the lastest or not because there are several markups on it.

For one of my (simplest) problems, please see the attached pdf. (I re-typed some stuff in RSLogix500 so I could have some comments and cross-referencing.) For some reason the hydraulic pump motor starter output won't latch in, even though I can see the input light from the pressure switch come on. Is is possible for the program to get corrupted such that the processor or memory lights do not illuminate, but yet something this simple won't work?

Edit to add: Sorry, just noticed that the timer comment is wrong... should read "Pressure Switch On for 1.5 seconds" instead of "Pressure Switch Off for 1.5 seconds"

Last edited:
At the risk of suggesting the obvious, if this outage is costing the company money, why not spend a few bucks to upgrade the processor? You said you have the program; re-write it using the appropriate new software and be good to go for several years, using in-house assets (you).

Bill

Agarb we are located in Dayton, OH but I'm afraid we don't have a terminal or software for the PLC 2 anymore. we however have extensive background in AB products and manufacturing processes in general. Usually for PLC2 work we borrow the same terminal from the distributor. If interested feel free to contact us.

There's not much to go on in the ladder.pdf, but will the pump starter pull in even for the 1.5 seconds of the timer? If not, could you add a standard Start-Stop pushbutton station to get the pump running, even if you have to wire an additional pressure switch for protection? Starting up you could hold down the start button until the pressure switch is satisfied. If this works, then maybe the rest of the machine logic would be satisfied to allow it to run for now. Just trying to help for a temporary solution, good luck.

agarb said:
I've seen that... has anybody used it? Seems like a small-time outfit. No phone number to talk to them. Email only support.

I recemtly installed the software om my laptop and was able to successfully suck the program out of a plc2/16. You won't get any symbols, comments, etc. since that info does not reside in the processor. It also appears that the software uses its own file format, therefore it will not allow you to use the AB files (don't hold me to this - I haven't had time to fully investigate this). Neverthelss, it might be quite useful for someone such as agarb who just needs to be able to connect and see what is going on.

I'll post a review of the software once I have had more time to use it.

Agrb, I sent you a pm.

agarb said:
For one of my (simplest) problems, please see the attached pdf. (I re-typed some stuff in RSLogix500 so I could have some comments and cross-referencing.) For some reason the hydraulic pump motor starter output won't latch in, even though I can see the input light from the pressure switch come on. Is is possible for the program to get corrupted such that the processor or memory lights do not illuminate, but yet something this simple won't work?
QUOTE]

One of my most unusual troubleshooting problems (EVER) was the exact thing you are describing. The I/O lights for the input were right..on the input module BUT, the program did not turn on the output. We used high speed video cameras, voltage recorders..the works..nothing made sense.

In your case, as in mine, there's corruption, alright. Programs don't just start not working.

In my case, the cause was a faulty chassis (aka rack) that held the I/O cards. We replaced it, and all our problems went away. Try changing out the I/O chassis, and see what happens.