plc-2 freeware

My boss is the most tolerant boss I've ever had the pleasure of working for. Maybe that's because he's the only employee of the company. From time to time I run across whiners and malcontents, but so far they've only been on short term projects.

@ leitmotif , you are totaly right , he has to sit away and keep his mouth shut especially in the plants which belong to shareholders , i.e.no owner exist, that case , you don't know what kind of benifits going through the pockets, i used to shut up and watch for a long long long

Well if $8000 is pocket change for them let them spend the money. I know I hate replacing stuff, unless I know 100% is a bad component.

My take on this is a bit different.

To me, Skiroy comes across as the egomaniac. He's told us about all the wonderful things he could be doing if not for the ignorant fools holding him back. He claims other people are stealing his good ideas and taking credit for them. He claims he can rewrite the lost ladder logic for the second hand machine that arrived with no program. He claims the outside guy who quoted $8k knows nothing about PLCs. He assigns ulterior motives to his co-workers, including sabotage.

On the whole, I'm glad I don't have to work with him.
My friend you would shake my handd and eat those words after only a week here. Not co workers sir. Only one guy who is quality assurance that wants to be GOD here. Its a small company so there are no checks and balances. This guy is not maintenance he has just taken it over because he has to control everything. I tried working with him (knowing his history around here of taking credit for everything from EVERYONE does here including the machinist that has been a machinist for 30 years in).I am the opposite of an egomaniac. I thrive off team work. I do not define my identity with my job or work. I am genuinely passionate about figuring things out and troubleshooting. I have been allowing this guy to step on me because I am a very humble person but its just too much anymore. But you make your assumptions. I find people that do this and jump to conclusions like this generally are not pleseant to be around,because they already know it all. I always admit when I dont know something. This guy will tell you something wrong,then you correct him gracefull and he will say he knew that and then start telling you whats what about what you just corrected him on. He has no humility. And he gets paid twice as much as me. The issue is he is not maintenance,he has no background,training,education on this kind of work besides when he gets on the phone with the manufacturers of the machine and they tell him what to do step by step. Then He acts like he figured it out all on his own and when I ask him what he did to learn he just tells me hes the man. He can not read a schematic and does not understand pneumatics. Fine. I have been okay with all this stuff. Its just when I am delibrately being prevented from doing things he knows I can do,just because of his ego. But this is getting way off topic.
In one instance there was a machine with a Hydraulic leak for years before I got here. I fixed 4 out of the 6 leaks and told this guy 2 times what we needed to fix it. I was ignored. The machines leak is so bad they have to fill it up every shift and there is a puddle of hydro fluid in the bottom of the machine they have the operators to suck it up and put back into the machine(Dirty). People have slipped and hurt them selves on the oil and now the machines leak is so bad that air has gotten in the hydro lines causing issues. The Machine also has overheated due to hydro fluid saturating the radiator and cooiling fan. I have brought this up over a year. Because of all this the pump is now gone or going and you know what he did? Blamed the opertaors for not turning the pump off after bending the parts. So you tell me, am I a egomaniac?

I dont mean this to be a pitty party. Im just trying to see if a version of PLC-2 software is availabe for free? I guess I will be making conversation with the operators for 8 hours again tonight. They dont mind because I treat them like people and they dont get that often here. In fact I went to a big factory here for a month(Then got laid off because of budget cuts and I was the least experienced of the 3 guys hired) but everyone on the floor was very upset because I fix things instead of making them feel stupid. One sweet old man cried and said he prayed I would come back because I help them so much. This guy just makes them feel like the machine not working is there fault. Like the old lady that got injuried because a air cylinder was going bad and snapped open and closed. I guess it startled her. I informed them of this air cylinder being bad 4 months prior but instead it became me getting improperly schooled on the fact that the cylinders seal was not holding pressure because everycylinder has and exhaust port. I tried to explain that I thought(Not knew but thought because I am humble) the exhaust is in the valve and the ports on the cylinders are both and input and output depending on how the solenoid valve routes the air. Well I just bowed out of the one sided argument and Shirley ended up with a broken arm. do you know the cylinder was changed 2 days later.

ANYWAYS. Im done venting. What am I complaining about? These opertaors are great people and their job sucks to them and they get paid very little and are treated like they are dumb monkeys. Im blessed.Sorry this thread turned into what it did. I guess thats what happens when your frustrated,bored and then someone accusing me of the very thing Im dealing with. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Skiroy, I can not help you with the software. just some things to think about. Not knowing your plant and its existing hardware(PLCs and software) It may be to you advantage to look at this another way. The plc2 is really old stuff, it could be that it could be replaced by a micro logix for less than the $8000.00 depending on the I/O count. If it were me I would study other options. find a cost effective solution, Then Present it to your boss via E-mail, maybe cc: or bcc: others involved in decision making. Careful not to rock the boat. However if your at your wits end. and you see no other avenue to proceed than you could succeed at this. If you can do this with the plc2 you should have no problem writing the logic in rs500 and there is a free version available.

I was a little surprised that Steve pounced on you as hard as he did. I got the impression after reading your first post that you *may* fall into the category he described, or that you may be more than just a little overzealous with your venting. After re-reading the whole thread...I can't fault Mr. Bailey for his assessment though. You did come across that way repeatedly. I'm not one to judge a guy for spilling his guts about a bad situation...I can sympathize...but...

Take a deep breath. The emotions, judgements, and personal attacks are all out on the table. My recommendation is that you now, put them aside, and stick to facts. I am often guilty of using language that is more colorful than necessary to expression my opinion or my passion, and it rarely helps me solve the problem. I feel better though, and I probably generate a few grins now and then.

I think that having both a degree and a couple of years experience should be enough to land you a job elsewhere making at least $20/hr provided:

You can write decent quality PLC programs from scratch.
You can write decent HMI programs from scratch.
You can follow and understand complex programs written by others to make improvements without too much complaining about style.
You can do some design and drafting without risking safety.
You know when to ask for help and where to turn.

Yes, get that resume rolling and move on. They are underpaying you if you have the skills and education. Even a vo-tech trained maintenance tech. can make more money especially if he has electrical skills, and never get bored.

IF you are competent as a multi-craft tech, you should be able to draw $18-$25 anywhere in the U.S. in any industry.

This is just my opinion and estimation. Instead of getting upset, spend your time reading learning, and applying for a real job...

BTW, I can't help with the PLC-2 stuff, sorry...

Thankx guys. And money is not my motivation. Just want to make a humble living, music is really my love so though I have capabilities with automation my drive is not so strong to be a programmer. I for one just havent had any opportunity to reinforce what I learned from school and two I dont know if by the time I get my time on paper if I will be in any position to say I can troubleshoot complex programs in a real manufacturing setting(with a straight face).

But I think this matter is really done. The 8K is for the machine to be re fit with a micrologix PLC and I never said the tech that quoted them that was incompetant(he is the man) I was saying the guy I work with that called him here in the first place was just trying to prevent me from fixing it. I forgot to mention I told him and the boss that I thought the program was erased weeks prior and they both said I was wrong. Then tried a bunch of things and then Mike told the boss he thought the program was erased after I finally convinced him. He didnt know I had also told the boss this weeks prior. Then my supervisor overheard him telling the company on the phone that he was "trying to convince these guys that the program was erased but they wouldnt listen". Wow. But the PLC is fine and we have another machine running now with the same old PLC. And I dont think Im a PLC guru by any means infact I couldnt rewrite this program. But I can certainly copy it because we have the print out of the program.

See because of the other machine having the same PLC I suggested months ago to buy the software to back it up just in case and the boss agreed. It just so happens this is the same software needed to rewrite(copy) the erased program. I am simply asking to get the software that they already said they would get. I know how to take a hint. Im just going to do my best and walk away. Thankx guys.(y)

I was a little surprised that Steve pounced on you as hard as he did. I got the impression after reading your first post that you *may* fall into the category he described, or that you may be more than just a little overzealous with your venting. After re-reading the whole thread...I can't fault Mr. Bailey for his assessment though. You did come across that way repeatedly. I'm not one to judge a guy for spilling his guts about a bad situation...I can sympathize...but...

Take a deep breath. The emotions, judgements, and personal attacks are all out on the table. My recommendation is that you now, put them aside, and stick to facts. I am often guilty of using language that is more colorful than necessary to expression my opinion or my passion, and it rarely helps me solve the problem. I feel better though, and I probably generate a few grins now and then.

I think that having both a degree and a couple of years experience should be enough to land you a job elsewhere making at least $20/hr provided:

You can write decent quality PLC programs from scratch.
You can write decent HMI programs from scratch.
You can follow and understand complex programs written by others to make improvements without too much complaining about style.
You can do some design and drafting without risking safety.
You know when to ask for help and where to turn.

Yes, get that resume rolling and move on. They are underpaying you if you have the skills and education. Even a vo-tech trained maintenance tech. can make more money especially if he has electrical skills, and never get bored.

IF you are competent as a multi-craft tech, you should be able to draw $18-$25 anywhere in the U.S. in any industry.

This is just my opinion and estimation. Instead of getting upset, spend your time reading learning, and applying for a real job...

BTW, I can't help with the PLC-2 stuff, sorry...
I agree. I have been staying pro active but I need to get my hands on things. Unfortunately m in a small town and the only factories is the small one Im at and the Big one across the street I got hired on as Preventative Maintenance but due to budget cuts I got laid off in a month. The head guy said my performance was excellent but out of the 2 other guys he hire I was the most expendable. I dont blame him. His orders come from above. But I stuck here for now cause my wife is military. But we want to relocate to Tampa,Fl. I hope there is a better deal there. But like I said money is not my motivation. I work with operators that get paid ****. I should be greatfull for my situation with all this economy crisis. I just dont like being held back for reasons related to lack of integrity when my only intention is to be productive and help. But thankx guys. Im sure This forum will help me out in my stumbling at my attempts to learn how to PLC program if I get a chance. You all seem willing to help. Im going to leave this situation alone.;)

If there are serious safety concerns, you should be teeing up safety projects with the chief safety guy.

Take some pictures, create a Power Point, and show the safety concerns and what it would take to correct them. Put in how much it would cost to fix and how much it would save on productivity, materials, etc.

Skiroy

At my first and very short stay of a job I worked at a place like you describe.

Don't rock the boat but make professional suggestions and alert all management of issues and expedite those involving employee safety.

Don't tell anyone anything without documenting it via email to CYA. Make a copy of these emails for yourself and keep them at home. If there is ever a serious injury or death here you could find youself in the middle of a OSHA investigation and he said / she said does not cut it.

Document,document,document

Do the best you can with the resources you have and put a lot of effort into getting out of their by improving your skills (Documented skills are best in this day and age.)and keeping your resume out there. Find something else even if you have to commute to the next town it will be worth it.

Leave this place behind you and let this management lay in the bed they are making.

This place will continue to take advantage of you. Best advice is to cut your losses. You will not change plant culture by yourself. Everyone has to buy in and it sounds like you have a better chance of hitting the mega millions lottery than changing the culture at this outfit IMHO.

If management wants to hang themselves then let them. In this life some people only learn the hard way no matter what.