PLC 5/20 to SLC data transfer

MICKEY

I prefer to do MSG from SLC side.
The PROSOFT communication module connected there has a BTR instruction(Data files N7:410-N7:473) Should i consider that also?
I mean i have to write to PLC 5/20 integers in between ( N7:410-N7:473)

I think if i do the MSG from SLC side( write) then i can get all values in PLC 5/20 Side without doing any other modification on PLC 5/20)

And How to understand / find the station address?

The message instructions you have in the PLC5 are using it's serial port and port 1B ( which is configured for DH+ protocol).
If the ProSoft module is the only method used to connect to the SLC5/03 from your PLC5
and the ProSoft module is a 3100-DFM ( DF1 Half-Duplex Master I'm guessing here) then Block Trasnfer instructions are used to communicate.

I am not familiar with that module and cannot find a manual online. I think your best bet is to contact ProSoft.

It helps a great deal if you describe the system in sufficient detail at the beginning of the thread. A rack full of Prosoft modules connected to modems are not the typical way that PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers are connected together.

I agree with Mickey that these are probably 3100-series DF1 Half Duplex Master modules, since the SLC-5/03 controller has its serial port configured as a DF1 Half Duplex Slave.

I can see the labels on the 2nd and 3rd modules:

Slot 0 Port 2 ?
Slot 0 Port 1 ?
Slot 1 Port 2 -> SLS
Slot 1 Port 1 -> WTP
Slot 2 Port 2 -> STP
Slot 2 Port 1 -> 33kV Substation

You said that the SLC-5/03 is on the "WTP" link, correct ?

What do the numbers on the labels mean: are they a wire number, a modem number, or a DF1 Node number ?

What kind of modems are being used ?

There's a PLC-5 ladder file labeled "SLC Comm", but it's full of MSG instructions aimed at the DH+ port. These are all set for Continuous Mode and are fragmented all over the data tables. This violates a handful of the cardinal rules of MSG instruction use, but that's for a different thread.

I'll go look at the Block Transfer instructions aimed at Group 1 (that's the second physical slot) now. These are in the LAD6 routine, labeled "SLS Comm".

Last edited:
RasPLC01, is any data currently being transferred across this serial link between the PLC-5 and the SLC-5/03 ? It looks like it's reading a block from N15.

Is there another SLC controller on the modem link ? Maybe one at Node 14 ?

A rhetorical question: Did you intentionally remove the documentation from these program files to make them difficult to identify, or do you really not have any of the comments and descriptions for these programs ?

I don't know for sure if Prosoft ever made a 3100-series module for DF1 protocol. The ladder logic looks extremely similar to a 3100-MCM (Modbus) but the configuration values look different enough that it's not a Modbus module. And of course the SLC is configured as DF1 Half Duplex.

Look at LAD6, at the COP instructions on Rung 01.

When the Block Number (N15:310) is between 80 and 99, that's a payload of 5x 10-word Command Blocks. This ladder logic is apparently sending Blocks 80, 81, 82, and 83: that's 40 Command Blocks.

But look at the data table that those command Blocks would come from (N15:50 through N15:249). The first two blocks (N15:50 and N15:100) are all zeroes. The next two blocks (N15:150 and N15:200) appear to contain only two Commands each. Oddly, both commands in each Block are identical.

What we really need to figure out how this module is working is a User Manual from Prosoft for this module. They may be able to determine from the Serial Number what kind of module it is.

Prosoft_Config_BTW_Group1.jpg

Thanks Ken and Mickey

This PLC is connected to lot of another SLC and RSview .we have work on WTP only .SLC 5/03 in WTP (WATER TREATMENT PLANT) is already communicating with PLC 5/20 ( this is expansion)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57875618/3100_DFM_User_Manual.pdf

What i understood ,we cant use MSG instruction in Prosoft module. So leave all MSG commands.we need to concentrate on BTR/BTW instruction in LAD SLS comm

I went to Prosoft and I got manual for this module.you are correct it is 3100-DFM. See link below

Excellent ! Once you've got the User Manual you're streets ahead.

I'll take a look at that tonight when I'm on the airplane home.

To improve my understanding of the application:

What kind of modems are in use ?

Is there another controller on this same modem line, or just the SLC-5/03 at the WTP site (DF1 Slave Node 16) ?

Sometimes there is logic or configuration data that's been abandoned in the controller and it helps if you don't have to chase down why the abandoned or nonfunctional items are not working.

I spent a couple of hours flying through turbulence over the Rockies and familiarizing myself with the old Prosoft User Manual. Once you are familiar with it, it's really pretty straightforward.

From what I can tell, the logic has some configuration mistakes that won't cause malfunctions but make the module run inefficiently.

For example, Rung 01 causes three BTW's of 50 words each to move 150 words of PLC-5 data from N16:0-149 to the Prosoft module's database words 0-149. All these words are zeroes and the Prosoft module doesn't send that data to any of the connected devices. It's a waste of memory and time but it doesn't hurt anything.

Also, the configuration sent to the Prosoft card in Rung 01 uses two blocks of 5 Commands each to actually transport 4 Commands, of which two are duplicate commands. Both Node 14 and Node 16 appear twice in the Poll List. Again, it doesn't hurt anything but it wastes time and memory.

Probably the best way to explain this is to show the contents of the PLC-5's N15 data table with the associated Prosoft block numbers and function labels, as well as an end-to-end illustration of what data in the SLC gets read into the PLC-5.

The existing logic reads N9:1-15 from the SLC at Node 16 on Channel 1 and places it in the PLC-5 in N16:200-214.

It also attempts to read N9:1-9 from the SLC at Node 14 on Channel 2 and place it in the PLC-5 in N16:150-158, but either this data is not being successfully read from the device on that channel or the data is always zero. This may explain the presence of the ERR LED on this Communication Module.

Your stated goal was: "Now I need to transfer (N7:50 - N7:62) from SLC 5/03 of WTP to this PLC 5/20, and connect to RSView using tags at N7:250 -N7:262 "

Add one new Command to the Command List:

Code:
N15:170  1	Block 82 Command 3 Port ID
N15:171  16     Block 82 Command 3 Slave Node Number
N15:172  11	Block 82 Command 3 Function Code 11 = SLC500 Word Range Read
N15:173  220	Block 82 Command 3 Module Database Address
N15:174  13	Block 82 Command 3 Word Count
N15:175  7	Block 82 Command 3 Data File Number
N15:176  137 	Block 82 Command 3 Data File Type (137 = 0x89 = Integer)
N15:177  50	Block 82 Command 3 Data File Element

This will read the data from N7:50-N7:62 in the SLC-5/03 and place it in the PLC-5 memory at N16:220-232. You can then copy it to the desired location for RSView's use.

Existing Data Transfer SLC to PLC5.jpg

Attachments

• PLC5_Existing_Datatables_Report_N15_N16.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Ken
you rock again. Actully you have to changre your name to Mr.PLC

Only one station connected to one modem.for WTP it is connected to a VMC modem.

and please tell me. I am still searching for command list. where is this in the software

For the Prosoft Module to perform a message transaction (either a Read or a Write), it needs a command. Each Command is a block of data 10 words long (the first 8 values are illustrated above).

The Commands are sent to the module using Block Numbers 82 through 99. Each block can move 5 commands. You can see in LAD6, Rung 01 that Block Numbers 82 and 83 are being used to move commands to the Prosoft Module.

These blocks are used inefficiently, because Block 82 contains two identical commands directed toward Port 1, and Block 83 contains two identical commands directed toward Port 2.

The command blocks can be summarized as follows:

N15:150-159 Port 1, Read N9:1 Length 15 from Node 16.
N15:160-169 Port 1, Read N9:1 Length 15 from Node 16.
N15:170-179 Port 1, Read N7:50, Length 13 from Node 16 (New Command)
N15:180-189 Unused Command
N15:190-199 Unused Command

N15:200-209 Port 2, Read N9:1 Length 9 from Node 14.
N15:210-219 Port 2, Read N9:1 Length 9 from Node 14.
N15:220-229 Unused Command
N15:230-239 Unused Command
N15:240-249 Unused Command