PLC Boot Camp

Count your Blessings...

Heart on sleeve...

I'm in bed now and just about to lay my head down beside my precious other half. A woman I owe a lot to. My rock. Kids asleep in their rooms (+ a Spanish exchange student in another). My daughter made her first Holy Communion yesterday and we've had family all around last couple of days. We've a family Christening next weekend, then a Birthday Party the next. Then off to Foo Fighters after that. Another concert with kids soon after that.

It's these moments together that I cherish most, these days.

But it wasn't always that way. I spent many years contracting and doing long hours. While I was usually home by some hour, it was usually too late for any meaningful family time. A period in my life I do not like recalling. But sometimes it's important I do.

I nearly missed my first born Son's birth while out of town working on a "had to be done job". I also missed a favourite Aunts funeral in the UK, even though I was over for it. I had arranged to "kill two birds" (that's an awful pun) and meet a guy that we were going to be working with on an upcoming project. I ended up missing the train back and arrived late to the funeral reception. My Mother was so disappointed in me. At the time, I felt so low and reckoned that the only one that might understand how regretful I felt would have been my close and dearly departed Aunt.

Countless other missed or late for appointments, family occasions, let downs and broken promises. Working most Sundays. Always feeling I had to be there for somebody, anybody, but my family. Lot's of money to be made, but not worth a red cent at days end. Eventually, my wife had had enough and I couldn't blame her in the least. I had become a workaholic.

She said if I could somehow change career paths and cut back on the hours then we stood a chance as a family. So an opportunity arose a short few years ago and I jumped ship from the contracting rat race to the somewhat slower pace of factory life.

My current job, since 2010, places me one mile from my home doing, usually, 8:00-4:00 or 4:00-12:00 shifts. Soon, this year I hope, I will be on permanent days after less than five years. Pay is good and the job is challenging enough, for me. My co-ordinator retires in a couple of years and the plan is to fill his shoes. A tall order indeed. A man I have much respect for professionally and personally. While I still have to travel for work, occasionally, it is more a day or two fact finding or training now and no stress or fear of having to stay on longer like before.

I now have relatively all the time in the world to spend with my family compared to when I'd next to never be around. My wife supported me through the low period and once I had promised her change, she trusted the man, the husband she knew was still there. Yes, my rock.

So I can whole heartedly relate with your story Ron, and the high price we can pay for long hours away from home. I know there will be others here not so lucky.

I've always said how this is a single man's game, or a married man's gamble.

P.s. I knew your answer would be "interesting" and thank you for it. But I thought we had the worst potholes in Ireland?

pothole1.jpg

Spooning time!

Regards,
George

Ron,
I don't have pictures. The trailer was one of those things that disappeared when the school went from public to fee for profit (don't get me started here). Maybe insurance reasons were part of the reason.
We had emergency lighting, numerous fire stuff and the generator and air comp was in a sealed compartment.
We could swap out AC/DC, Motor Control, Fluid Power and basic PLC back at the school. We could handle 6 to 8 students depending on the layout.
It worked very well except for the above discussions. Students were pulled out for repairs on the plant floor and of course that disrupted the class.

Anyone ever caught a glimpse of this rig?

The Success Xpress. It trains Electricians and the like in the mines of Kentucky and caters for up to 9 students.
I remembered reading about it a few years ago.

SXpLeeco09WB.JPG

SuccessXpress76WB.JPG

SuccessXpressInterior59WB.JPG

AmatrolPanel03WB.jpg

AmatrolPanelGroup11WB.jpg

G.

Other than 4 years away in the Army I have spent my 45+ years in Indiana and can attest this to be an absolute truth and hasn't changed at all. :mad:

Amen to that. Evansville native here and now live in North Carolina. The construction in Indiana was some of the worst I've seen.

To Ron and Geo, we have printed numerous posts and information off this site (and Ron's personal) to use as references here at work. Cheers to making our lives a little easier!

Last edited: