PLC uploading problem

Hi guys

I got a problem when I tried to upload the code form Micrologix 1000 to my laptop, there are no any description for the code, the code itself is ok, how come the description disappeared?

Thanks
Ifthis is the "description" you're after, the SLC won't store internally. You do need the source files.

Description.jpg

Main Entry: de·scrip·tion
Pronunciation: \di-ˈskrip-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English descripcioun, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin description-, descriptio, from describere
Date: 14th century
1 : an act of describing; specifically : discourse intended to give a mental image of something experienced b : a descriptive statement or account
2 : Tag's in Controllogix PLC's but not SLC's to be used with RSLogix 5000
3 : kind or character especially as determined by salient features <opposed to any tax of so radical a description>

synonyms see type

Not that I am trying to be technical... but its in the dictionary just look and number 2 :)

You know what they say... if you see it on the internet then it must be true :D

Main Entry: de·scrip·tion
Pronunciation: \di-ˈskrip-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English descripcioun, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin description-, descriptio, from describere
Date: 14th century
1 : an act of describing; specifically : discourse intended to give a mental image of something experienced b : a descriptive statement or account
2 : Tag's in Controllogix PLC's but not SLC's to be used with RSLogix 5000
3 : kind or character especially as determined by salient features <opposed to any tax of so radical a description>

synonyms see type

Not that I am trying to be technical... but its in the dictionary just look and number 2 :)

You know what they say... if you see it on the internet then it must be true :D

Now that is funny - lol

I'd do a lmgtfy if i could remember how.....

Perhaps i was being pedantic - goes with the job i'm afraid - tag-names are tag-names, descriptions are descriptions, c'est la vie.

I actively train people to use tag-names that are as descriptive as they can be in the 40 characters allowed, and in doing so you can very often dispense with descriptions. This means you can have a better understanding of the code if you just do an upload.

But we also have to understand that tag descriptions are just one of many. There are also descriptions that can be attached to rungs, routines, programs, tasks, I/O modules, and Comms modules. A well-documented project would have most of these.

I merely stated facts - descriptions (apart from the one I noted) are not stored in the controller.

Ok Mickey, just being over-sensitive i guess.

If i see me quoted, and without a reason why - i assume disagreement

No problems - let it be

There are also descriptions that can be attached to rungs, routines, programs, tasks, I/O modules, and Comms modules. A well-documented project would have most of these.

Those are comments.:D

Definition:

1. [noun] a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief; "from time to time she contributed a personal comment on his account"
    Synonyms: remark
  2. [noun] a written explanation or criticism or illustration that is added to a book or other textual material; "he wrote an extended comment on the proposal"
    Synonyms: ary
  3. [noun] a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people; "the divorce caused much gossip"
    Synonyms: gossip, scuttlebutt
  4. [verb] make or write a comment on; "he commented the paper of his colleague"
    Synonyms: notice, remark, point out
  5. [verb] explain or interpret something
  6. [verb] provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases; "He annotated on what his teacher had written"
    Synonyms: gloss, annotate

Quit quoting Wiki, or whatever....

tag-names are stored in the controller - descriptions aren't - end of.

so let me understand this, in the image posted above, in the box "edit description" these are descriptions, not comments. so if I unload a code from an slc plc and there are not descriptions and so i go through the schematic and enter descriptions for inputs, outputs, ect. and I save this. when i open the saved program next time im online with the machine the descriptions will be there still, is this correct?

so let me understand this, in the image posted above, in the box "edit description" these are descriptions, not comments. So if i unload a code from an slc plc and there are not descriptions and so i go through the schematic and enter descriptions for inputs, outputs, ect. And i save this. When i open the saved program next time im online with the machine the descriptions will be there still, is this correct?

yes

so let me understand this, in the image posted above, in the box "edit description" these are descriptions, not comments. so if I unload a code from an slc plc and there are not descriptions and so i go through the schematic and enter descriptions for inputs, outputs, ect. and I save this. when i open the saved program next time im online with the machine the descriptions will be there still, is this correct?
Yes.
As long as you have the source file comments, descriptions and all that will show.

Sorry whippee2, we got off-topic talknig about ControlLogix, but the same rules apply for the SLC and Micrologix.

The programming software merges (for display) the code from the plc and the documentation data from the file.

So yes you are right, if you have a project file containing documentation, and you go online to the slc with that project file, the software will display the associated documentation.