Point to Point Positioning possible with AB Powerflex 700s and incremental encoders?

SilverLoop

i have documentation that speaks of using a high resolution "absolute" encoder with the Powerflex 700s for "absolute point to point positioning".

has anyone used an incremental encoder (1024 resolution) to do the same thing with these drives?

if so, where can i find information on how to do this?

thanks!

SilverLoop said:
i have documentation that speaks of using a high resolution "absolute" encoder with the Powerflex 700s for "absolute point to point positioning".

has anyone used an incremental encoder (1024 resolution) to do the same thing with these drives?

if so, where can i find information on how to do this?

thanks!

I'm not sure about the absolute encoder, but I've used PowerFlex 700 with an incremental encoder. You will have to run a homing sequence when you power on the drive. There are 16 indexes (actually only 15) that could be used. See the attached file.

CoS

cstca said:
I'm not sure about the absolute encoder, but I've used PowerFlex 700 with an incremental encoder. You will have to run a homing sequence when you power on the drive. There are 16 indexes (actually only 15) that could be used. See the attached file.

CoS

i know these are basic questions, but i have added the drives to the Controllogix I/O configuration. how does the plc program use the .dno file and how do you establish a data link in order to get something like encoder feedback to the plc?

You will need DriveExecutive from AB to go online with PowerFlex (.dno is the extension for the configuration file saved with DriveExecutive). I don't think you can change parameters on the drive from RSLogix5000 without having DriveExecutive on your PC. Lite is good for basic stuff (is coming with RSLogix5000 bundle), but it won't allow you to save the config. file to your hard-drive or to change Datalinks into the drive. You will have to buy the software if you are planning to use Datalinks.

CoS

cstca said:
You will need DriveExecutive from AB to go online with PowerFlex (.dno is the extension for the configuration file saved with DriveExecutive). I don't think you can change parameters on the drive from RSLogix5000 without having DriveExecutive on your PC. Lite is good for basic stuff (is coming with RSLogix5000 bundle), but it won't allow you to save the config. file to your hard-drive or to change Datalinks into the drive. You will have to buy the software if you are planning to use Datalinks.

CoS

i think i have some confusion about the "sequence" in which the drives are set up. what i mean is, i am not sure how the I/O configuration, RSNetworx, and DriveExecutive work together.

i added the drives to my program and then i was able to create an RSNetworx file automatically. but then when i look at the properties of the drives, it is wanting the .dno file. so i have to have a .dno file for each drive?

I've used the PowerFlex drive on an EthernetIP network and I was able to add it to my I/O Configuration on the processor's Ethernet port. I didn't use any .dno file in RSLogix, all the setup was done with DriveExplorer.

CoS

The entry spot for a .dno file in the device properties is AB's cut at an integrated development environment. If you enter a .dno file Logix will automatically invoke Drive Explorer and open the correct file for you from the Logix device properties screen. As cstca posted, this isn't required. You will, however, end up saving a .dno file somewhere using Drive Explorer after you have your drive configuration finished.

Keith

Depending on the needed speed of the application and the amount of axes you may want the encoder frrdback from your driven assembly and not the motor and directly into your controller vs the drive.

encoder.png
encoder mounted on the PowerFlex 700s I then set parameters as to which is not please help.