possible to pull program off of eprom? slc 5/03

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a slc 5/03 that appears to have been damaged when someone was doing welding near the panel. I have tried every which way to communicate with it and have not been successful, including pulling the battery to try and go back to default. I know my 1747-uic is working correctly, because I was able to change the port on my slc 5/05 to dh485 and connect to it with no issue.

The slc 5/03 did have an eprom, but I dont have another slc 5/03 to stick it in. Is there any way to put the eprom on the slc 5/05 that I do have and retrieve the program? I tried, but it doesnt appear to let me retrieve the logic. I am working on getting the logic, but would like to be able to grab what I had on the eprom to take a look at it until I can source a slc 5/03 or get the logic from the manufacturer of the equipment.

Thanks ahead of time.

I don't believe there is a way to access the EEPROM outside od the SLC Processor
all the SCL processors 5/03, 5/04 and 5/05 all use the same EEPROM 1747-M13 so if you have one of the others you can use it to upload the program.
one word of caution be sure to first backup any program in the SLC before you plug in the EEPROM as you may automatically load from the EEPROM on power up and lose the current program.
Good Luck

It may or may not automatically load from the memory module. I would recommend putting the module in the 5/05, then go online with the SLC and use RSLogix 500 to "Load from Memory Module". I forget where that is in the menu exactly, but I believe it is under the main menu "Comms" item.

If you have already tried that and got nothing, that could mean that the memory module holds nothing or that it is not compatible with the CPU you're using. What is the memory size of the target 5/05? It has been my experience that it should work as long as the program stored on the memory module is not larger than the capacity of the target, but I have also seen issues with either FRN levels (firmware version numbers) and some older types of EEPROMS but I don't recall the details or have access to software at the moment.

It doesnt appear to allow you to put an eprom in a different processor type, even though they all use the same eprom model. It looks like when you do the load from eprom, it actually tries to push what is stored on the eprom into the processor, instead of loading it into rslogix500. It then throws an error about a different os or something like that.