Power Supply Overloaded???

azecraze

On a ML1200 I am working on, when I do a "Verify Project", I get this message:

IO Configuration -
"Warning:If using a 24 point I/O base, processor power supply may be overloaded."

Processor:
I=24
O=16

Add On Modules:
1 X 1762-OW16
3 X IF20F2

Question:
Is this base overloaded or not?
If it is, how do I increase the base rating?

By my reckoning this is a 40point I/O base and does not need upgrading. Am I correct?

The base margin is:
5V Current (mA) 160
24V Current (mA) -105

I have similar application like yours which contain.
1.IQ16
2.OB16
3.IF4
4.IF4
5.OF4
6.ML 1200 24
with out any warning.
I use RS-Logix 500 6.10 It did not work with 6.00.
Maybe there is connection.

Check out the link in the AB website. The 24 point IO base has a smaller internal power supply than the 40 point base.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/25463/2163967/

The 40 point unit has 600 mA available to power the attached modules so you will just manage it. Interesting there seems to be an option for an additional power supply though I have never seen one for the 1200 series.
Go into your IO config and add all OW16 modules ( they pull a lot of base power) then do a project verify and see the different message.

Regards Alan Case

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think that you have answered my questions.
Looks like I will just get by with what I have.

I read some where that up to 6 addon modules can be added to a ML1200.
Obviously the power supply has to still cope with it!

If you read the manual fully it says you can add up to 6 modules as long as you do not exceed the power supply rating. Some combos of power hungry modules are not acceptable. ie 6 x OW16s.
Regards Alan

Yes I did read the manual once....and dismissed it as more US propaganda trying to control ours minds through the use of quasi electrical definitions to limit our abibilty to recognize that what we write is directly controlled by what we analyse about what we read.... :)

AB has a power supply spreadsheet somewhere for free. You just mark your components and it gives you load and recommended power supply size / model. It is great when creating initial BOM.

If no one else post it, I will when I get in the office Monday.

"Yes I did read the manual once....and dismissed it as more US propaganda trying to control ours minds through the use of quasi electrical definitions to limit our abibilty to recognize that what we write is directly controlled by what we analyse about what we read.... "

Well if you read the manual and took notice of it then you would not have to ask such questions or sprout such %&**$ as the above quote.
Regards Alan