Powerflex 40 drives that only work when heated up

Andymac

I have recently started at a new plant, and we use a lot of power flex 40 drives for conveyors. on my fiorst day they sent me to start a line armed with a heat gun to heat up drive. i was skeptical of this practice but after 5 mins or so the drive did power up. i am quite curious as to how this works. I've done it several times since. I am more curious about what i could do to fix this issue. experienced maintenace members here have all just said it's what we do. which drives me nuts

Ambient temp is generally 20-32 Celsius. And by power up I mean there is power to drive but does not turn on. Screen blank and shows no function. After heating drive sceen will flicker a few times and then start and run as normal . There are 4 that do this and all power flex 40s .

Heat is applied all around drive evenly. Have to keep gun moving or it will melt housing. Usually do circles around it

That is truly bizarre! Are you heating the HIM or the entire drive? Is the run command coming from the HIM or from a signal at the terminals? Same question for the speed command? Wondering if the flaky components are the HIMs or something in the drives.

Once it turns on one is speed and start are controlled by HIM and the other 3 controlled by a signal. Same as speed for the 3 a potentiometer .

20C is 68F, so doubt temp is the issue. Back in 2019 I did a project going to Red Deer, Alberta, but that was with PF525's. It didn't appear altitude would be an issue (thin air causing issues)

If these are powered all the time, as mentioned, shouldn't have problems with a PF40.

It is bizarre!

If temp is the issue, I would suggest to replace the drives.

I didn't see anything on altitude in the manual.

Alberta is a bit more in altitude than here.

PF40 Temp.jpg

This reminds me of the "Lazarus drive" we nicknamed when I worked in a food plant. It was a PF4. I never associated it with temperature but it was about 35 degrees in the production room where it lived.

Here's a thread where I mentioned it in response to a similar issue.

It could just be an inherent issue with the PF4 class. I had a press brake that used a PF4 on the back gauge, and it flaked out all the time. It was replaced, worked for a few days, then flaked out again.